Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
I have purchased a new Fuel filter for my 91 RR Classic, thought I would just pop it on in a few seconds.....(I'm more used to the older Land Rovers..)

I just had a quick peak in the manual & the first thing I read is " fuel system has to be de-pressurised".....It then goes on to explain about relays under the seat to be disconnected, Cold start injectors to be taken apart, fuel to be drain into a suitable container...etc...
Yikes! :eek:
My question is, is all this necessary or can I get a pair of vice grips clamped each side of the filter & go for it! (told you I was more used to the older land rovers!)
Is there a easier way or am I best to do it "by the book"?
Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I did not de-pressurise when I changed mine (she would not start so I could not). Wish I would have thought of the vice grips. I just wrapped the connections with a rag to catch the gas and to prevent it from spraying.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
The first time I changed that sucker I pulled the fuse. But that was it.
The second time I just used a rag like Kevin.
Thanks for posting this, it's time to change that bugger again.

I would suggest that you wash that area off with a power hose before you start. I know mine was really dusty and dirty and the chunks of crap from under the truck got in my eyes when I did this job. Everytime you bump the wrench under there you'll get a shower of dirt in your eyes.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Not a bad idea Eric!.. I remember busting out the protective goggles last time i did it too!.. though that didn't help out with the dusty air i was breathing..

Ps the rover is running again, though i am not sure why...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel Filter changing....

Hey, thanks for the Input guys... so I dont need to de-pressurize. Just pull the fuse & go for it! Nice, just like the old series truck!
Cheers,
Andy :drink1:

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
Where Is The Fuse???

Where is the fuse again???

I never even pulled the fuse just got the rags going..... I have a spare one that i think ill replace this weekend, because I dont think i am going to do the Alt swap.... Damn shims..

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fuel Filter now changed....

Hi Guys,
Just thought I would follow up my original post & mention how it all went....
I located the fuel filter behind the rear, righthandside wheel arch.(91 RRC) Removed that wheel to make access easier. Disconnected the ground lead on the battery & started to remove the filter. First thing I found was the filter mounting bracket was rotten-through. It fell off in bits & went straight in the garbage bin.Next thing was all the connections were siezed up solid! :mad:
It took a few quirts of "releasant" & a juggling of 2 wrench's & pipe grips to finally work it all loose. There is 5" flexible fuel hose each side of the filter so I used 2 small vice grips to clamp the hose each side to prevent too much fuel loss/spilage. Before clamping on the vice grips I massaged some Vaseline into the hose to soften them up.(didn't want them to crack or tear) Then completly removed the old filter.
The new filter went on fairly easy, one hose connection end tried several times to cross-thread but I mangage to clean the thread up with a small wire brush.
To replace the rotten mounting bracket I found an old Series Coil mounting bracket I had spare & used it to mount the new filter (worked great!)
After reconnecting the battery, turned the key & she started first time & didn't miss a beat! :clap:
The manual recommends changing the fuel filter every 80,000Km, I think mine was probaly on for at least 8 years. :eek:
When was yours last changed???
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts