Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Desert Destroyer
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a few times in the last week that when I first start the truck in the morning, let it idle for a few minutes before backing out of the driveway, there is fuel on the driveway. It appears to be coming from somewhere in the engine compartment! I'm not noticing this happening except in the morning after it's sat all night.

The only other thing I've noticed, which may be unrelated, is while driving on twisty mountain road over the weekend I seemed to loose some power going up steep hills around 50 mph.

I've got no codes to share...

I've read some in the rave, not didn't really find anything I could point my finger at to get started figuring this out. Hoping to solve it before it becomes a real problem.

Thanks!:kiss

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The fuel line comes up, over the transmission, under the coil pack and plugs into the fuel distribution rail at the back of the engine. The rail goes up and then tees off, into two rails that push down over the injectors. You could be leaking from a hole in the line, at the push-on connector under the coil pack, from a crack in the rail, at one of the injector o-rings or (unlikely) through the cracked body of the injector. The fuel is under moderately high pressure so even a small leak is going to push out some fuel. I inadvertently nicked a top o-ring on an injector and it lost a ton of fuel. Whatever your problem is, it is likely to get way worse at the wrong moment so I wouldn't be driving it until you get it fixed.

I would take a look at the area behind the upper plenum and see if you're getting fuel down into the valley pan. If not, you're going to have to work your way rearward. You'll have to pull the SAI plumbing and coil pack- and the upper plenum to see what's going on with the manifold disconnect. Before doing that you can look upward from below and see if you can locate the problem.

Be extremely careful. Leaking pressurized gasoline and a running vehicle can be a dangerous combination.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Are you sure its fuel / gasoline? If you are STOP DRIVING IT until it's fixed!!!! Dangerous!!!
There is not many things that contain fuel in the engine compartment ( only 1 fuel line at the back of the engine that you cannot visually access)
The most likely cause IMO would be an injector O ring at the fuel rail.
How mechanically inclined are you?

·
Desert Destroyer
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed

Sorry I forgot to update. I did find the leak. It was the fuel line from the fuel pump/tank to the back of the engine. It was leaking on the engine side. Discovery II Fuel Lines and - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts Picture at this link.

I didn't want to mess with the fuel system so I took it to Kensington Motor Cars here in Vegas. As it turns out, I couldn't just get the line alone. The lines are listed as an assembly. When they called to order, they found out the assembly is obsolete. The only choice then was to fabricate a new one. They did just the line that was leaking. Kensington did a great job. They used flexible hose with rubber ends & fittings. Tested it, then installed. I've had it back for 3 days & it's good to go. Price was only $310.

FYI..now that they know the part is obsolete, they are fabricating up a few to keep on the shelf in case someone else comes along needing one. Give them a call if you ever need one.:nerd

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Late or not it's worth it to see you follow up. What exactly was the fix, line replacement or just the connection?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.