Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, im conducting a scientific experiment for a major project on how many miles does a person get on 87 octane/ 89/ 91/93/94. On a full gas tank from Full to Reserve light, how many miles do you get on what type of fuel.

· Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
230 to 240 on a full tank

premium 75mph on cruise control...thats with a 12000 winch...arb and tjm bumpers...SD roof rack...6 aux light....dual batteries and 235x85x16 tires...

Marcus

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Disco said:
I presume you are going to do this with the same vehicle?
well yeah. I should have mentioned. I want to keep it to people with the 3.9L/ 4.0L engine ( basically the same thing.. ) so the differences should be minor, I need as many people posting their amount of miles as possible, so that I can compile the data into a graph.

PLEASE help out, I greatly appreciate all the help i can get.

· Registered
1,744 Posts
Too many variables. To be exact, which the end result should be, you need to do this with a same vehicle and fill the same amount each time. Other people have different driving habits, and their vehicles are different; some well tuned, some not. There is all weight differences to take into account; how often during the experiment they used cruise control (it does save fuel) during highway driving or not. Whether they have the correct tire pressures and speed variables, just to name a few. If you do your experiment the way you envisage, I don't think it will tell us anything useful. Sorry if I sould like a naysayer.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Disco said:
Too many variables. To be exact, which the end result should be, you need to do this with a same vehicle and fill the same amount each time. Other people have different driving habits, and their vehicles are different; some well tuned, some not. There is all weight differences to take into account; how often during the experiment they used cruise control (it does save fuel) during highway driving or not. Whether they have the correct tire pressures and speed variables, just to name a few. If you do your experiment the way you envisage, I don't think it will tell us anything useful. Sorry if I sould like a naysayer.
Well... true, but those would really just account for a few miles in difference nothing huge. Lead foot especially. Disco I know exactly what you mean, but for my needs I just need more or less estimates, thanks for the input tho, it is helpful. Still post away.

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
I get about 14.5-15.5 MPG average.. and I drive up and down a mountain road 4 days a week and in town most of the rest of the week.

Serg

· Registered
5,468 Posts
I get about 300 miles out of a tank of premium. I have a 2 inch OME lift with 265/75/16 MT's. My city mileage sucks but freeway is decent. I am running Hwy 4 to Angels Camp 2 - 3 days per week so there is some mountain/hill driving (onroad) too. My truck is a 96 D1 SE7 with a 4.0. I also am using the K&N air filter, Bosch platinum +4 plugs, magnecore wires, and only a cherry bomb behind the cats (yes, it passes CA smog!). :buttrock:

· Registered
39 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is to verify the octane levels. They are sometimes reported on the pumps as:

RON - Research octane number - always the highest number
MON - Motor octane number
R+M/2 - The average of reseach and motor octane numbers

In Canada, you will see a small sticker at the pump that says they report (R+M)/2 for the purposes of advertising octane numbers. Not sure what is used in different states or different parts of the world.

So, a 91 octane and a 93 octane may be exactly the same if 91 is the MON and 93 is the RON. R+M/2 is still 92, but reporting the RON makes for better advertising!

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
91 octane, roughly 300 miles to the tank (or 24 gallons on the fill up) That works out to roughly 12.5 MPG. If I am towing my boat, I can get 220 out of a tank of 91 octane, or 9.166 MPG.

Happy reporting.

· Registered
4 Posts
With premium fuel I just got....

302 miles out of 20.25 gallons. Thats 14.9 miles/gallon. That was about 150 miles of stop and start driving (using D3 where possible), and about 150 on the highway at 70 mph, cruise control.

· Registered
363 Posts
I will go with Disco

I will have to agree with Disco. Ther are to many variables. I have an 04 Disco with the 4.6 eng. I drive a very constant speed and route. I get about 330 miles to 20 gallons. As for putting the truck in 3rd gear in trafic. I still have not seen much or any improvement on millage. If you are in heavy. I just say to keep the truck in drive and keep the RPM's below 2000 RPM and you do not have to put any extra stress on your trany. That is my two cents

· Registered
1,506 Posts
I run 93 on my 95 and 95 D1s. I get 250 miles per full tank (around 18 gallons).

Both Discos are running 265/75/16s. The 95 has MTs and the 96 has ATs. The 96 is stock except for 3" AG lift, deCarbon Shocks and rear lowered shock mounts. It also has the jumpseats and all the carpeting.

My 95 has no carpeting, no jumpseats, lighter radius arms (stronger than stock), lighter panhard rod (adjustable).... basically my 95 is lighter than my 96 but I get the same mileage.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.