Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 disco 4.0 is having trouble starting when warm. It runs like a champ after it gets started, but it takes a few tries to get it fired up, and once it starts, it idles very high for a short time. A bit more information, and it has only done this twice, but while driving on the highway, it would not accelerate past 2k rpm. I am pretty sure it is either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator, but I am not sure how to tell which it may be.

Thank You all for you help. This is a great forum.
:

·
Registered
454 Posts
The cheapest thing to try is replacing the inline fuel filter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I replaced the fuel filter about 9 months ago, so I guess I should do that again first. If I still am not getting 32psi in the rail, any thoughts on how to tell if the problem is the pump or the reg?

thanks again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
listen for it... tell tale sign is loud whining coming from gas tank.. how many km/ miles do you have on it and is it still the original?
take care
sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has about 80k now. I am pretty sure the pump is original. How often do they usually go out? I know on other trucks, I have had them go at 120k or so. I will listen to the pump when I get home. Thanks sam.

·
Registered
62 Posts
pump

i would put all my money on the pump. the reason it doesnt start cold is because the check valve in the pump is stuck letting the fuel in the rail to leak back to the tank. so when you start it you have to pressurize the rail again. the pump is easily accessable through the floor under the carpet in the cargo area. the problem at 2k rpm is also because of the pumps weak pressure. good luck. and if you do the pump make sure to get a new gaket ring and accorn fittings if applicable. :drink1:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot. I will give it a shot. I will be sure to let you know how it turns out. By the way, any luck on the job hunt rovertech?

·
Registered
33 Posts
My experience is that the pumps on Land Rovers don’t last much past 80 to 100 thousand miles, and it’s usually the brushes in the motor that go first. Dent is right, a louder than usual whering noise is a good sign that the pump is on its last legs. Or no noise at all when you turn the ignition on.
Don’t waste time with the fuel filter if you changed it 9 months ago, I cant see that it would be clogged up in that short amount of time.
If you think you are having fuel pressure/delivery problems and you have 80K on an original I WOULD consider changing it.
Like I said if it where ME I would get it changed. If it goes out 50 miles from home you’ll be towing it back and when they go they just stop with out warning. I know. :bawling:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I ordered a pump kit last night. I wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. A rover first for sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
no luck

no luck with the job hunt but thanks 4 asking. good luck putting the pump in if you need guidance please dont hesitate to ask. also if i were you i would access the pump cover and put some rust penetrant on the screws they tend to seize and break. also an impact driver will help get them off in one piece :buttrock:

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
If the fuel pressure is found to be acceptable, or the problem persists with replacing of the fuel pump, it may well be leaking injectors. You may find the hard start is due to flooding of the cylinders-the high engine speed leads me to believe this may be the problem.

These problems seem to come in spurts, I have now replaced three fuel pumps in the last month!

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know, originally I thought the problem may be leaky injectors as well, but I don't think that would explain the problem when driving down the highway, would it? The truck seems to start and run fine while it it cold, which makes me think it may also be the fuel temp sensor. I will start with the pump I guess, and see what happens after I get that put in. It could be a combination of things, I suppose.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way, if I do a leak down test, and the injectors are leaking, can they be rebuilt, or only replaced?
thanks again. I appreciate all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts