Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. So there I am on saturday, was going to go offroading, I refill my power steering fluid, fixed my previous problem I was all set to go. I pull into the gas station, fill up to full, get in the car. Start the engine, and its barely running 100-0RPM the engine shakes rambles and then stalls. I tried starting the car under full throttle and nothing, would shake and stall everytime. So I start checking the usual. Check the MAF ( completely disconect it, that does nothing. ), I checked the ignition coil/ distributor cap/ wires ( usually the reason why it doesnt start ) and everything was fine. Nothing leaking, nothing wrong, just wont stay on. Eventually it doesnt even turn on and studder, just tries to turn on with no avail. So I figure it is not getting any fuel. I call AAA to get me towed, in the 2 hours I had till the latest time they come, my mechanic comes. And he determines the same thing, no fuel. My father comes in the ML, we get a metal wrench out of the ML, the mechanic takes it, and while I crank, he hits the fuel tanks really hard and it turns over immediately..

So my question is uhh, wtf? Was there something in the fuel?

This keeps on happening now everyday, I left it at the mechanic and they're saying new fuel pump, but my fuel pump is only a little over a year old and my gas tank is less than 6 months old ( recall ) Any ideas as what this might be?

·
Registered
229 Posts
When you turn the ignition to the run pos do you hear the fuel pump making a steady
whining sound or is there a grumbling? You might of had a new pump put in prior to the
tank recall but who is to say the douchebags didn't swap out your pump with a used one? Just because someone is wearing an official LAND ROVER uniform it doesn't make
them honest.
Not painting with a broad brush but i have been looked square in the face and lied to
by L/R service managers and tech's a few times.

I hope you don't go to the asswipes in manhattan on 57th st oofahh

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DISCO INCUBUS said:
When you turn the ignition to the run pos do you hear the fuel pump making a steady
whining sound or is there a grumbling? You might of had a new pump put in prior to the
tank recall but who is to say the douchebags didn't swap out your pump with a used one? Just because someone is wearing an official LAND ROVER uniform it doesn't make
them honest.
Not painting with a broad brush but i have been looked square in the face and lied to
by L/R service managers and tech's a few times.

I hope you don't go to the asswipes in manhattan on 57th st oofahh
That is where I got the recall done.. I only go to a private mechanic now, but for recall thats where i went 54th and 11th..

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Have you gone into the tank yet, looking for a bad connection or ground problem??
By the way, when you changed out the fuel tank, did you replace the fuel filter?? Probably not a factor for your current problem but should be done, they plug up easily.
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Just because stuff is new doesn't mean it's good. That dealer sucks bigtime and I wouldn't hesitate to second guess their ability to do ANYTHING properly.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Im with Muddy oval on this one. Manhatten doesnt have a decent rep even among dealers.

We got stuck from those bastards not doing recalls at all but claiming them on the Range ROvers. the customers would drive to Vermont to go skiing and the front diffs would break and they would get towed to us. The computer would show a recall done but we pulled it apart and found nothing done. No drilling or new grease.

We did so many we were pissed. Its getting to be ski season again and I bet we will soon see some more from them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the diagnosis from my mechanic is this, the fuel pump is failing, is starts sometimes, and other times is does not. Its making a lot of noise, you can really hear it when standing under the tank. It makes a high pitched whirring noise ( is this norm?) So for now I ordered a fuel pump from a junk yard. Got it for about 170. Should be like 250 tops with labor. Sigh.. my mom really cant afford this, she might sell the car soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.