Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'm new to this forum have a major problem with my Disco.
Its a 1998 Land Rover Disco 50th Anniversary Edition with 142xxx miles on it
It all started when I was working on the disco in my driveway with my dad, we were changing out the thermostat and coolant hoses on it because they hadn't been changed out before. After changing out the thermostat and hoses we decided to check if there were going to be any leaks. So, I got my dad to start up the car and it started up easily and I do a small leak. I got him to turn it off I fixed the leaking hose connection and then asked him to start it up again. This time when he went to start it up it would just crank but not fire. When this happened I heard a noise on the drivers side other than the cranking. So we sprayed some carb cleaner fluid into the intake hose and it fired but no fuel going to the engine. We assumed it was a relay so we changed out both fuel pump relays, the one in the drivers side panel and the relay on the passenger side of the engine compartmen, with no luck and I had pressed down the interia switch button everyone says is a way to fix this but nothing has changed. I am wondering if it could be the fuel pump itself or a fuel filter problem. I am running out of ideas and options of what to do, I am in college so I'm busy working on this car and classes! Any ideas are welcome!

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I'm thinking fuel pump inertia switch
Not sure on a d1 but it is on the pass. Firewall on a d2

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Check fuses in engine bay and under steering wheel, that's the norm. Not much on drivers side other than TPS, IACV, MAF, 2 coolant sensors and crank sensor near trans. Fuel Pressure Regulator is vacuum operated and fuel temp sensor on rail is only items fuel related. What did the sound remind you of?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
:thinkerg: Waiting?????

I have heard a vicious rumor that this sort of thing happens.....:angel

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
:thinkerg: Waiting?????

I have heard a vicious rumor that this sort of thing happens.....:angel
I don't know if you've noticed but this site is for the most part crickets. Working to resurrect it once more, we'll see. I just sweep the hallways here once and awhile. The good thing about more member participation is that you get more opinions and ideas AND experience...... and here you get four usuals on a good day and five if Army isn't working 16 hour duty days or playing with himself.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I must admit, I am a member of a few forums and I usually keep to myself, because usually guys with more knowledge than me beat me to the punch...and usually guys that are quite pissed off, because their truck is broken, don't appreciate my twisted, snarky sense of humor....
But, if It can be fixed with bailing wire, gum and a hammer...I'm your guy.....McGiver calls me.....LOL

That's why my trail tool box has a backpack in it, so I can hike home....

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
I'd take supplies but I'm not walking out without my truck.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
My guess would be fuel pump. I bought one on ebay for about $65 and put it in last July. Been working fine ever since.
I think we would all like to know more about that $65.00 fuel pump for a '98 Disco w/ A 4.0 GEMS w/ AEL (Advanced Evaporative Loss system)
I have heard of some guys converting a Cadillac pump, for cheap and I have also seen pumps for the pre AEL Discos, for pretty cheap, but I have NOT seen a cheap one for my, or DiscomanSC's, truck...
I think the difference is the fuel pressure and some of the wiring...I may stand corrected, but...very curious....and always willing to learn

:nerd

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.