Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,

Found this page today and it looks like I have found a new home. I have a 93 3.9 which I purchased about 6 months ago and have had a recurring problem that is causing me grief.

The problem:

When I am driving, typically going up a hill, after a sustained RPM of approx 2000-2500, the fuel pump just stops sending petrol to the engine.

Out of instinct, I take my foot off the pedal and when I start to push the pedal in again, the fuel pump only engages when my foot passes the position where the pedal was previously. This causes a sudden rev from the engine as a big gush of petrol suddenly enters, I would not say the car is sputtering but it would be the closest layman's term that I can use.

A couple of times now the problem has progressed and the pump has just stopped working causing me to pull over and park. The strange thing is (and why I am not convinced that it is just the fuel pump) that when I am on the side of the road and in gear, the fuel pump will not engage however in neutral it works just fine. After being stuck on the side of the road and getting towed to the mechanics, the Rover presented no problems.

Through my own and my mechanics efforts we have checked the following:

- Checked spark plugs (fine)
- Cleaned fuel pump and change fuel pump battery (is how the mechanic explained it)
- Changed air/fuel filter

The fact that the fuel pump works fine in neutral is what causes me to think it is not a fuel pump problem.

After reading some posts on this forum I will check to see if the ignition amplifier module is buggered.

Any other ideas or directions I can go would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Cam in Ecuador
-

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
247 Posts
Sounds like you might have a bad mass airflow sensor - try unplugging it and trying to replicate the problem with the MAF unplugged. In this situation, the engine should run off preset air/fuel tables, and if your problem goes away, it’s likely that your MAF sensor is giving faulty info under these conditions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Above is good advice, also your thought on the Ignition amp is valid too, they can produce similar symptoms. Part of the problem is that when they're nearling the end of thier lives the modules overheat and randomly stop functioning, and even the tiniest bit of cooling (think a brief pause in funcitoning) can cause them to start working again. Luckily they're a pretty cheap part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts