Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hade some fun in the snow on the 24th. I was near Harrogate and it propper dumped on us.. I went out at 7am for a wee drive and it was great.. The country roads were impassable almost. I came across a bunch of cars that had to turn round at the bottom of a hill.. There was however a BMW 320 with Auto Transmsion still trying to get up.. I offered him a tow and for my help he gave me £10. I wasnt going to accept it but he insisted.

Then I went on further and higher in and it was near blizzard conditions. I came across another car in trouble.. This time he was stoved into a tree down a ditch.. Pulled him out and sent im on his way :drive:

I cleared a snow drift that was blocking one route into a small village

The weather was great :buttrock:

And then I drove home to Hamilton. Harroagate to Hamilton 230 miles (ish) set off 7pm arrived 3am :complain:

The A66 was closed between Bowes and Brough so I found a way via Barnard Castle and Middleton-on-Teesdale on the B6277 and B6276. Only problem was the B276 from Middleton to Brough was closed too .. Sign read, Road closed due to snow drifts.. I had already come too far and had to carry on so I did. That bloomin sign wasn't joking though. I didnt get pics of the bad drifts as I was digging them for hours or driving as fast as I could, but here is what the whole road was like for miles...

I've attached a map of that area too...

So. I finally got home..had a shower and climed into bed. went to cuddle up to the wife and got shouted at cos I was cold.... I know I'm cold!!! thats why I wanted a bloomin cudlde :bawling:

Here are all the pics I took http://www.roverpowered.com/~booyaah/lr/snow/

·
Registered
223 Posts
There was a thread about it beforeChristmas on another forumand the impressionI got was that they where seen as dangerous. You know acting like a cheese wire if you were to hit somebody.
I would have made some for myself if not for that.

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Looks and sounds great!!

Sorry to sound thick but which part of the UK is this from? Dont know the place names at all!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Looks great, travelled these roads many a time on motorbikes mainly in summer months 20+ years ago. The A68 was one of my favourites in the summer

Just spent a week in Munich and a few days in Vienna

The only 4x4s I saw in Germany were Defenders and one G Wagon, Austria was a bit more varied though but not as much snow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It was a good day. In my time in the army driving in the Alps, deserts, bogs, quagmiers and even proper off road training track all over the world that was the most challenging I've delt with think.. The main thing was I was on my own and stupidly not prepared. I had to dig with my hands untill I found a bit of plastic that helped me scrape the snow close to the road. In the past I've always had back up but this time I would have had to bed down for the night and that wouldnt have been very nice :mad:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.