Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fuse problems???? UPDATE and QUESTION

Hi everyone, :wave:

I have a 97 Discovery bought used 3 years ago. It had a new engine put in it and well I really love this vehicle. Everything worked and plenty of room for the greyhounds. I did have a leak that I came on this board earlier to discuss. Of course Land Rover could not fix it although they tried 3 times. It was a windshield leak which I told them it was. I brought it to my mechanic (a very good one might I add) his brother does body work so he would check out the window the leak. (they only work on top end cars Roll’s, Astin Martins (?) etc) Of course the window broke when taken out but he did see that they never sealed the bottom. Of course I didn’t want my floor boards to rust so he sealed them as well with a coating. No more leak. BUT he did take out an older phone hookup that we didn’t need. It was hooked to the fuses kind of crudely. Well when I got the car back the seat controls did not work. The driver side only worked when the car door was open, but not while driving. The passenger didn’t work at all. A blinker was doing double time, and I thought that the heated seats didn’t work (the light does work for the heated seats) I brought it back and when I picked it up everything worked but the blinker on the right side was still doing double time. He said it was a ground but not to worry. So when I drove the car the next day the blinker worked fine, BUT the seats do not work again. I noticed that when I turned on the key one should hear the ding ding ding, and I didn’t and the seat does not move. Now I wonder if the heated seats really work? My mechanic told me that they only work at around 79 degrees. It was 70 this morning and I felt no heat. Whistles and bells must work in my cars; I am very depressed that my beloved LR Greyhound mobile is not 100%. Does anyone have a clue what is not hooked up correctly?

Help!

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
You my dear have a really bad electrical problem... which as it turns out are the worst kind of problems to have in any car not just a Land Rover...

Now to make you feel a little better about it,... because your not the only one. I bought mine(well actually I bought it but the wife gets it ;) ) about 3-4 months ago. I was getting it ready for a road trip to Yellowstone NP... that's about 5500 miles round trip for me, so I was going through it pretty good getting it ready. Well whoever had it before had run a power wire from the battery to under the dash and than back out and under the truck through the frame and so on, to the trailer hitch... remember that part... trailer hitch. Anyway my OCD didn't like they way it was run so I figured for now since I have nothing to tow I'd pull out the messy wiring and replace it later, ...no big deal right... yeah well, little did I know what I was about to find out. Some moron had that wiring also powering some craziness for the sunroofs(they would close by themselves once the truck was shut off); that's right the TRAILER HITCH power was actually connected to the SUNROOF power somehow... So after I cut out the wire my sunroofs didn't work... figure that one out. :confused So I had to run a power lead off the accessory wire from the ignition harness so that I could get power to them.
I still haven't totally fixed it but whoever worked on this before was a total hack because I took the front upper pockets down they where a mess the screws where all stripped out and the plastic supports where stripped out... I was soooooo mad. So to properly fix this is going to cost me a small fortune. I have to replace about $1000 bucks in parts and rewire the whole system... And that's me buying the parts close to cost and doing all the work myself. It crazy... I have the number to the orginal owner who I'm going to call and find out who did this work and then call that person up and have a chat with them...

So don't feel bad, your not the only one...

However I would have them trace out each line because its most likely a grounding problem... the problem with that is, those are the hardest ones to nail down... a shorted wire is easy to find, grounds could be anywhere in the car...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
say it isn't so

Thank you for the reply although I wish it was a better one. This was just a phone, do you think that the mechanic should have seen how it was set up so not to disturb the rest of the car? My seats now only work when the car door is open and the keys are not in the ignition. The red lights of the heated seat buttons are lit when put on, but I still feel no heat. Can anyone tell me if they will indeed heat up when the cold weather sets in? This is REALLY important to me, I hate the cold on my hiney. So it might just be a ground? Maybe it has to do with the right blinker that WAS doing double time but now is behaving the way it should.

At least it dosen't leak anymore.

·
324 Posts
Those seats should just heat up no matter what is far as I can tell. I've turn mine on by mistake and they come right on...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought the seats should heat, but the manuel says heats at 79 degrees, so I don't know what to tell my mechanic. What is your little mouse at the bottom saying? :dunno: What is Zymol wax, its not our product

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I realized that it is the #6 fuse as the vanity mirror isn't working. When I touch it I hear a click and the light comes on, the seats move again AND THE HEATED SEATS WORK!!! :clap:

WHen I drive down my bumpy road of course the connection stops. Do you think if I put another fuse in there it will stay snug? Or do I need a whole new fuse panel?

·
324 Posts
Wow isnt that just crazy :clap: Well I would pull the fuse and try and push the holding clips closer together or you can try and bend the tab's on the fuse itself. I doubt you'll need a need panel, but anything is possible.

As for my little mouse... Zymol makes excellent wax but its just a little over priced. I do however use there Leather Conditioner because it works SOOOO well! The stuff is great! I use other waxes on most cars we detail in our shop but if someone really wants it they can have it ;) It is VERY good stuff and it works awesome!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will give that a try, I hope I can see it clearly, all this computer work has made my eyes :eek:

I found out that only I can see my IP address that was in your mouse sign. I was freaking out about that little joke for a little while. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.