Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in the process of searching for a new (to me) vehicle in a couple of months and recently stumbled across this site and found out that a Land Rover might be exactly what I'm looking for. I originally was going for a 4 door truck, but I've got a few questions for the masses here first.

First off I'm looking at a '99-'04ish Disco, since I've been able to find a couple on the internet that are really not too bad on the wallet. My first question is will these tow a boat/small travel trailer with no problems? I know these years have two different engine sizes. Is one better than the other? And lastly, are any years that are worse than the others. I've read that the '03 have a few problems.... Sorry for the long post and my mindless rambling. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to metion that it will be my DD and very possibly a light to medium duty wheeling rig. Mostly backcountry camping/expidition type stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Hi all,

I'm in the process of searching for a new (to me) vehicle in a couple of months and recently stumbled across this site and found out that a Land Rover might be exactly what I'm looking for. I originally was going for a 4 door truck, but I've got a few questions for the masses here first.

First off I'm looking at a '99-'04ish Disco, since I've been able to find a couple on the internet that are really not too bad on the wallet. My first question is will these tow a boat/small travel trailer with no problems? I know these years have two different engine sizes. Is one better than the other? And lastly, are any years that are worse than the others. I've read that the '03 have a few problems.... Sorry for the long post and my mindless rambling. Thanks in advance.
Go with an 04 and be done.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Those are Ford product. 2003-2005 RR is BMW.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
BMW acquired the rover group in 1994 it’s true, but Ford acquired the LR marque (not RR) in 2000. Ford later acquired the RR marque in 2006. I can’t conclusively say that BMW did or didn’t contribute to the D2, but I wouldn’t call it a “BMW product” like I would the 2003 FFRR

·
Registered
2008 Land Rover LR3 HSE V8
40 Posts
Hi all,

To actually answer the question, yes the Discovery 1 and Discovery 2 are great cars that are way cooler than some truck for sure

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Haha, total sidetrack/hijack!

the 2004 is the cream of the crop in my opinion with the facelift and CDL, but pretty much every 4.6 engine is a ticking timebomb.

if you go 99-01 D2 you don’t get the glitz and glamour of the 03-04 facelift, but you’ll likely find a locking differential that just needs a new shifter and linkage to make use of. 2003 is the bastard, having the time bomb engine, the slick styling, and no CDL just ETC.

A D1 is a respectable piece of machinery as well, and you won’t have to worry about putting sandbags in the bed of your 4dr pickup to keep the rear wheels planted

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Expert Crate Digger
383 Posts
I’d go with an ‘01 with glass headlights and a CDL nipple that you can add the linkage to rather than an ‘04 and the ugly rounded roof rack and dodgy discoloured plastic headlights that are easy to steal.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Hater!

I love the aero bars, they look freaking beefy. And if you get an ARB… I can’t remove my headlights unless I remove the bumper first. D’oh.

they do take the occasional polish to keep looking sharp, but personally I think they look neat

Reactions: JUKE179r

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
I’m gonna have to go with Rev on this one - for D2’s, the 04 is really the sweet spot - more power than the 4.0 with the time-bomb 4.6 without quite as many issues as the 03’s 4.6, CDL without having to retrofit a shifter, and those super beefy (if kinda useless bc of their shape) roof bars. I’m not huge on the facelift headlights and grille tho - I prefer the old-school glass headlights over the crappy plastic ones that like to cloud over and fill up with water (the plastic adjustment gears are also stripped out of mine, so they kinda aim wherever they want). I do like the facelift taillights better though - the signal in the upper housing and the reverse light in the bumper looks far classier than the inverse imo. That being said, I do still love my bastard child 03, mostly because it’s the truck the got me into Rovers, I’ve been all over the place in it, I’ve camper converted it, and it’s unique. That being said, if I had a choice and my 03 didn’t basically fall into my hands a little over a year ago, it would probably be my last choice.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Yeah, the 2004 has eluded me all of these years…

I’ve had 94, 97, 00, and three 03s including my current, though for my current rig I did buy the aero bars and a CDL

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
Nice. I’d love to see if someone at Land Rover has sales figures for all of the Discovery years. It seems like the vast majority were 03s just scrolling through listings, at least where I am.

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
03s all day here too. Some ppl call them 04 but you can tell by the roof bars heh

·
very disco
2,456 Posts
Haha just realized that this is a 12yo thread!

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
319 Posts
03s all day here too. Some ppl call them 04 but you can tell by the roof bars heh
That’s the worst. I’ve become a nerd on little details like that bc nobody lists stuff correctly. This is even worse with BMWs - people always list the SMG as a manual, which makes looking for good cars painful.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts