Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched this forum for difinitive answers to my problem but haven't been able to find "reasons" for this problem -

During the Winter months I'm abale to remove and replace my gas cap on my 04 Disco quite easily. When the temperature rises, starting in the Spring, the cap becomes more difficult to replace culminating in not being able to get the thing off when Summer heat arrives. I've tried the "new gas cap " approach twice. New Gas Caps are like a dream, for about 6 months or until the heat arrives. I also tried applying a thin coat of oil which helped for a very short time.

About an hour ago I pulled up to a gas pump with the low fuel light on. Surprise! the cap would not come off. This is the second time that I've encountered it not coming off. One has to get crushed ice in a plastic bag, pack it around the cap inside the filler door and hold it there for about 10 minutes. When this is done the cap comes right off leading back to the seasonal thing I mentioned above. There is obviously a problem with expansion here. New caps work well for a short while. Oiling works for a very short time. What can I do besides buying new caps every few months? Does anyone know of an after market cap that wont expand as much in the heat? Is there some other fix that can be performed aside from installing a new fuel filler neck (I'm told that's a $1400 job at the Dealership)?

HELP yee English Country Gentlemen! (and all others of course).:help

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Clean the threads on the cap and the neck where the cap screws on, might try steel wool.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Resurrecting this one.

The gas cap is so tight that a good cleaning will help about 5% of the issue.
Does no one else have this issue?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

-sobieski

1 - 6 of 6 Posts