Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, be honest now... how far can I reasonably expect to go when the gas light comes on with my 98 Disco running 93 octane? :dunno:

I know some of you have experimented with this... :drive:

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Get on the Internet....

there are a couple websites you can search for gas stations. Start with Sunoco, they usually carry 93 and 94. Gotta have the dough too.

· Registered
909 Posts
Well while my needle approached the big "E" about a needles width from it, and the light still not on. I did fill up and I put about 21 gallons in my tank. So by my calculations that left me about 3 gallons. So 3 x @15mpg = 45miles.
I wouldn't chance it though. You never know what situation you may get into. If I would have "chanced it" in a recent snow storm, on my last vacation, I would have been on the side of the road. :eek:

· The Best 4X4XFar
609 Posts
WetDawg said:
Ok, be honest now... how far can I reasonably expect to go when the gas light comes on with my 98 Disco running 93 octane? :dunno:

I know some of you have experimented with this... :drive:
the fuel gage is far to inaccurate to give you a reliable range, if your really curious get a can of petrol and wait for the light to come on then runit til it runs out, and clock how many miles it took, the only harm you are likly to dois suck up some of the crap from the bottom of the tank. running low on fuel will not harm the fuel pump, if you run out DO NOT keep turning it over as this may damage the fuel pump as it uses the petrol as a lubricant.

Remeber you may get an average of 15mpg, but that diesn't mean every gallon will see 15mpg, around town in traffic you may well be down to 9-10mpg. So if you have 3 gallons left that may be only 25miles or so, as it may not completly empty the tank before the feed stops pulling the fuel through.

· Registered
909 Posts
True DAT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.