Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody . The day finaly came and i am glad to join the ranks of the land rovers. i just purchased my first land rover it's a 1999 disco2.i am completely satisfied with it it came with everything , low miles and a great price. the only nasty thing about it is the gas mileage. anything i can do as far as fuel additives , installing parts , modifying settings ... anything to increase the gas mileage ?? thanks folks !

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
A few things you can do.....

Hi from Adam in NYC USA :drive:

Don't drive with a leadfoot, unless you have to.

Change to a K&N air filter and cold tar intake (or snokel).
Clean your fuel system and injectors.

Change your fluids twice in the beginning and then religiously at every 3k miles.

Get your vehicle Checked with a Trusted mechanic. Get the bearing lubed and everything else done too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheap Way out

I go to Family Dollar or Big Lots (cheap stores) and buy Octane Booster for $0.99 a bottle and clean the place out. I then use cheap gas with one bottle per fill up. I get like 285-300 miles out of a tank that costs $30 or so.
-Jude

·
Registered
454 Posts
We have a 2000 and it gets between 13 and 15 mpg

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Freestyler,
What do you consider to be bad gas mileage?
On my 99 D2 prior to making lots of modifications I could get 16.5 to 17 at 65 to 70 MPH.
How many miles on the truck, do you have any servious records, what gas are you using???
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey mike . well i have 80000 miles on it and it's been always serviced throughout it's life ( it only had one owner i'm the second . the guy showed me the service records ). i fill it with premium unleaded just like the manual said . i use ARCO gas stations. i guess i'm gonna try the octane boosters . i mostly drive highway ( commuting everyday 20 miles one way so i guess i'm gonna spend a lot on gas , unlike my previous car which was a ford focus i could get 400 miles/tank on it and it only cost 15 dollars per tank hehe ). i usualy drive between 60 and 80 MPH , do u think that's bad ? it really is no big deal but if there's anything that can be done ( without spending 5000 $ on making it happen ) please let me know . thank man !

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Freestyler,
You still haven't said what you are getting for gas mileage?????
Arco is good, don't waist your money on octane boosters, they may give you a little more power but won't effect the mileage.
Go out and look at your spark plug wires, are they the black, originail factory wires, get back to me.
Mike J.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Guys, did a trip last year from Colorado to Alaska and back, averaged out at 20.3 mpg for the whole trip, am I just lucky?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have a Discovery II with 65K miles and a K&N air filter as the only modification. We have Toyo somethingorother M/S tires that hum pretty good and I'm wondering if that could be costing me a bit in MPGs. We had a '90 Suburban 4X4 with 196K,5.7ltr,auto and it got 15mpg with BFG longtrails on it. I've never seen tires make such a difference, but am wondering if the aggresive tread could be contributing to rolling resistance. I've maxed out the PSI.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just read in the owners manual about a couple of things. I'm going to take the trans out of Sport mode and put the HVAC on econo to turn off the A/C compressor. I'll post if there's a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts