Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad: About a month ago,We received a letter from landrover that the gas tank had been recalled on our 1995 Disco. Seems the top seam may come apart and leak, so we made an appt next day at our rover dealer(125mi away) to get it fixed. well the wife took it in today to get fixed,Keep in mind when we called they said no charge to us .Anyhoo she dropped it off at 9am this morning and being 125mi from home They said theyed take her to a mall :rolleyes: And call her when it was done and theyed come pick her up.Well she got a call alright They called to tell her that the fuel pump was rusted and corroded,and had broken when they took it out and it was going to cost us 270.00 to fix IF they had one which they didnt.Well To make a long story short when she got back to the dealership she asked them to see the pump, its plastic, the top was cracked, and a big hole broken in it,and all the clips that hold it together had snapped off.she asked if the tank had not been removed, would it have lasted the rest of the cars life, and was told yes.they also had used the one they had instock to fix a recall replacement that had been done last week.they will call if/when they can find a new one and have it fixed. seems to us that careless removal of the tank is getting them about $300 for a cost free repair.Seems like a scam too me . Well the only good thing that came out of this is they gave her a 2004 disco with 5000 miles on it to drive home and will bring ours to us when done My question ,Do any of you think I should pay for this I`m thinking NOT...We also had other problems with them today but this is the main problem I mean the mechanic told her they broke it .Thie name of this dealership is Landrover of des moines What do you think would you pay for this fuel pump???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea thats what I`m thinkind. I Love my rover I`ve got over 100k on it only thing I`ve had to replace was a starter,alternator and brakes.I had thought I`d maybe buy another someday But Not from this dealer :(

·
Registered
37 Posts
You may want to call land rover customer care. Ask them who should be paying for it. I was under the impression that this should be the cost of doing business for land rover, as they issued the recall, they should be responsible for any costs required to complete the job(within reason)i.e. removing a off road skid plate to access the tank...this would be customers responsibility...but damaging the pump, which wouldn't have been disturbed, if not for the recall, should be land rovers responsibilty.
just a thought..give em a call..it cant hurt

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree 100% We Have tried to call Land rover America but the person we needed to talk to Had left for the weekend :shifty: Oh`well we`ll catch him monday , I have had a chance to drive the loaner ,While its nice,Has more power ,Has better power steering ,And better brakes, I would rather have my Luke back He`s kinda like a comfy pair of old shoes I`d rather wear than new flashy ones,And He`s PAID FOR :D ...Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
It is Standard Operating Procedure here.....

Went for the recall at Manhattan Ford (Land Rover) , stated the same, I ended up paying $600.00 for a new noisy fuel pump and a new gas tank.

Their solution at the dealership is if it is rusty, state it has to be replaced. I sometimes wish that Ford and/or Land Rover would have done continous quality control and poll prior Land Rover owners so they would get a clue how to keep consumer satisifaction.

Maybe one of us should mount a interior cam inside a old D1 with a old tank and record what their mechanics really do. I know I ended up with a set of scratches on the rear paint I did not have before.

If we send a copy of the video results to LandRover and also post them on the net, that would really shake things up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Im going for my recall tommorow, but my pump is about a year old now. If they happen to brake something, what can I do about it..

Adam in NYC USA said:
Went for the recall at Manhattan Ford (Land Rover) , stated the same, I ended up paying $600.00 for a new noisy fuel pump and a new gas tank.

Their solution at the dealership is if it is rusty, state it has to be replaced. I sometimes wish that Ford and/or Land Rover would have done continous quality control and poll prior Land Rover owners so they would get a clue how to keep consumer satisifaction.

Maybe one of us should mount a interior cam inside a old D1 with a old tank and record what their mechanics really do. I know I ended up with a set of scratches on the rear paint I did not have before.

If we send a copy of the video results to LandRover and also post them on the net, that would really shake things up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See This is what I`m Having a hard time about. The fuel pump is plastic , The gas tank is Plastic Where do you get rust from? My rover is not rusty And the idiot Gave us our fuel pump and you can see where he broke a hole in the top of it There are no bolt holes around the break , it looks like when he tried to get the lines loose he slipped with his wrench and broke the pump, the clips they broke are located 6" into the gas tank HOW DO YOU GET RUST INSIDE THE TANK????? These clips are plastic to. MG I`d tell them up front if they break it they Buy It , Before they do any work This is a recall there fore it should not cost the customer a dime to fix . I do agree if you have special equip removing that would be a different story but there again they bring the tank out from the inside of the rover ,They don`t drop it down from the outside . Well I`m probably wrong I`ll try to let you know tommarrow how we turn out That is if they ever find a fulel pump for us . As of saturday noon they didn`t have a clue
..................Jeffin...............

·
Support Our Troops
3,667 Posts
I under the impression that this recall was for all 97 Discoveries, but when I tooko mine in for it, they told me that it didn't fall under the recall because it was built with the newer tank on it when it was built in 97.

But while it was there for the recall they noticed it needed a new valve cover gasket, steering knuckle, and said I have a small crack in one of my exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gas tank recall

I live in Montreal, Canada
I received my first recall letters in English (dated January, 2005) and French version (dated February, 2005) both on March 7, 2005
You all have to understand that it takes a full month to do translation in this Province :lol: Anyhow, The first letter Re: Recall Action B156 - 1993 - 1995 Model Range Rover Classic and 1995 - 1997 Model Year Discovery Series I Vehicles Fuel Tank Cracking. "Cracks can develop at certain plastic "weld" joints on top portion of the fuel tank which can cause a noticeable odor of fuel. The cracking can continue to grow and result in signs of liquid fuel on the underside of the vehicle, particularly if overfilling is attempted. Liquid fuel, in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire"
I looked under and over where the "weld" is and saw no crack. When refueling, I looked again, no sign, no smell and I did not try to ignition since they were no sign of source. Price of gas here, was yesterday 1.02 $ per liter for Super unleaded, so you do not overfill :eek:
I filed the letters and continue using my Disco 95. I have then received a second set of letters both dated march 2005 (French & English) on April 21, 2005 (They have improved in translation time, Bravo.) :drink1:
The second set of letters was in fact a follow-up to tell me that estimated time will be two hours to install a new fuel tank, and that a new fuel tank for my Landy was in stock at near by dealer. Since I take my Disco regularly to a friendly garage and Land Rover owner (not a dealer) I ask the mechanic to look closely at it. No crack, no hair line no distortion, no swelling.
Result, if it's not broken do not fix it.
One of the good reason why I keep reading this forum.
Ask, ask, ask before any action !!
I feel sorry for you, but dealers will remain dealers. Could you trust anyone this days, especially dealer's employees. :drive:
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:) :) :buttrock: Well Finally Good News Called LRAmerica They said they were not responsible, But would call the dealer to talk it over . They had better luck they got to talk to the gen manager ,we got his flunky. anyhoo we got a call today and LR of Des Moines IA will be paying for the new fuel pump :D :D :D
Now all we gotta do is find a fuel pump :shifty: None in the good ol USA :shifty: Oh well they told us we should have Luke back by tuesday and there would be NO CHARGES to us , Gotta love that .I guess I`ll Have to suffer and keep driving this 2004 loaner :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
I took the wife's 94 to Prestige Land Rover in Paramus, NJ for the fuel tank recall. During the replacement process they broke the fuel pump and a few of the fuel lines because they were rusted. The dealer did not charge me anything for the additional repairs stating that they were replaced as part of the recall repair and not my responsability. I am very please with thier service and would highly recommend them. That was my first and only visit to the dealer but the experience was very good.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
it's funny that this thread appeared because i was just calling the dealer yesterday to find out if there was a possible recall on the fuel tank of my wife's '98 D1 (it currently won't fill unless i jam the nozzle down as far as i can get it and then hold it there the whole time). from what you guys are saying, the recall doesn't apply to '98s. i'm gonna check anyway though.

btw, i don't use the dealer here in san jose, CA because they suck. in fact, they have yet to get back to me about my question/problem.

·
Registered
720 Posts
We took our 96 Disco 5 spd to the Dealer here in Vancouver, Canada, to have the gas tank replaced on recall. I've had lots of experience with GM, Ford, Volvo Nissan etc. dealerships over the years and so warned the service guy that if there was any trouble with the fuel pump or sensors within 90 days of the tank replacement, that we'd hold them responsible - even wrote a comment on the work order when I signed. There was no trouble and old 'Stumpy' runs fine. What alot of people don't understand is that the mechanics are forced to work wihin a specified time for each job they do. Usually not enough time. Naturally they tend to rip everything apart as fast as possible. Plastic parts often crack when levered up, especially is they are glued into place after years of service. If the mechanic lovingly disassembles old parts, takes a few extra minutes to clean everything perfectly (the way you would do it at home) all remains intact and happy. Just to drive my point home, I've seen brake calipers hanging by their steel brake lines in so-called professional shops; I've seen head bolts broken off in the engine block because the mechanic had the impact gun accidently set on 'ON' instead of 'OFF'!! It's all a matter of time, concentration and human nature. What about the time the mechanic started our Disco while it was in 1st gear and drove it into his workbench - "I thought it was in 'PARK' - didn't know they made Discos with sticks" was his excuse! Forgive my little spazz here but its always best to anticipate as much of the possible extra work, on paper, before giving the keys to any dealer service department. They are there to make money first, being fair to you is a very distant second.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Yeah they key there was "They broke the pump when they took it off" .... thus THEY pay to replace it.. cost of doing business...

Serg

·
Registered
32 Posts
took mine into the chattanooga dealer and everything went great! They did break my antenna while washing and waxing it, but replaced it with a new one - no charge! TN philosophy is ... if you break it and its not yours, replace it. if it leaks or is rusty ... duct-tape it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.