Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the dilemma... gas is on the way up to 3 bucks per gallon.... would it be wise to dump the crappy stuff in the tank... i.e. 87? I do not want a check engine light kicking on, nor do I want damage to engine... I have close to 108K and it runs well, even though I had to sink some cash into it...

TKS,

DJAC

·
2,986 Posts
People report that they run 87 all the time with no problem.. personally, I'd say just considering the cost difference (usually about $0.10-$0.15 cents between regular and premium) figure at 20 gallons, you are saving $2.00 a tank, figure you fill up once a week, you're saving a whole whopping $104.00 bucks by putting something of lesser quality into your car..

·
Registered
20 Posts
rmuller said:
People report that they run 87 all the time with no problem.. personally, I'd say just considering the cost difference (usually about $0.10-$0.15 cents between regular and premium) figure at 20 gallons, you are saving $2.00 a tank, figure you fill up once a week, you're saving a whole whopping $104.00 bucks by putting something of lesser quality into your car..
I'm with you. These engines like to be run on the good stuff...

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can't even afford unleaded :bawling: 2.73$ a gallon!! AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My opinion is that you should put in the gas the engine was designed for, because in the long run, you'll be way better off. Anything other than 89 in my 3.9 throws codes and horribly retards the miles/gallon, offsetting any slight gain at the pump.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Okay,

I have to admit the grade of gas does matter in these Rovers. I recall the days it was a waste of money to run 93 octane. Most cars are designed to run on 87 and running 93 really does not add much of a change... except older higher mileage engine.

I have ran 87 to make myself feel better in the pocket... but the other fella is right. 10-15 cent difference over 20 gallons is less than 3.00s. I can really tell the difference between lower octane gas and higher. Mileage can not get any worse but the acceleration does.

·
Registered
720 Posts
There's no doubt our 96 5 spd runs better on 91 premium. Much smoother accel. Don't forget you're also getting a different blend of additives in premium - more detergents. Also, according to the rep at Chevron, there is a big diff between the additives in Canadian gas and the US equivalent - he said that even back in the 90s there were 21 differences in the various stabilizers/modifiers etc. depending where you buy Chevron gas in N. America - amazing. Also, he said the gasoline blends are changing all the time. My big question is how to remove those deposits from around the exhaust valve stems and stop them from building up again. Just did a 'decoke' last spring - took me a month of weekends!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.