Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody what gearboxes(and transfer boxes) will fit in a 109 2.25 1984 petrol(LPG) landy?

I have a dogdy reverse, and if i cant fix it then I ill need a new box and if it's not to much trouble wold like to take the oppurtunity to get a more modern box.

Will the LT77 box and transfer box fit without to much trouble?

Are the bolt patterns on the bell housings difeernt? cross members ned modifying? etc etc

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I have the dimensions writen down somewhere safe. So safe I can't find them. If you have the removable crossmember, you will find it an easier job, but the driveshafts will likely be different if you go to an LT77 or R380. (with an LT230 attached)
I can't see going to the trouble of updating the gearbox, without also changing the T case, and then you're into the permanant 4x4 situation. Since you've gone this far, you may as well go the distance and replace the motor too. I suspect you'll be able to pick up a complete 200 Tdi, R380 and LT230 from one of the many breakers for no more than a box & T case from some others. I saw just such an install in a series truck at a local show back in July. The guy had purchased a 300Tdi, R380 and LT230, and had it shipped to the states, delivered to his house for $4k (2300 GBP) I gotta believe a quarter of that was freight. I think he said he bought it from Equicar., Might have been Foley.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks terrys,

the engine good - its a 2.235 petrol but has been converted to LPG!

it not my main car eiher , but I am on a tight budget (moving house soon) so if there is a low or similar cost option/alternative than installing an old 4 speed standard gear box, then I thought may be worth considering.

If that means i get a centre diff, then :)

btw cross member is welded on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.