Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have the "Can't shift out of park" problem. My brake lights work, so it's not the switch. I looked under the gear lever bezel and the solenoid wasn't connected. Problem solved? Sort of. It's a little sticky in operation, so I'd like to remove it, clean and lubricate it. But I can't quite tell how it comes out, and have not been able to find the relevant section of the RAVE manual.

Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, for those that might care, I figured it out by my big self. On the right hand, or outboard side of the solenoid there is a flat steel plate with a dog sticking out. When installed, the dog points down and engages a catch. If you take a pair of channel locks and rotate the solenoid anti clockwise (viewed from the right side), the dog will rotate out of the catch and you can withdraw it, either to clean or simply leave out.

I've cleaned it with CRC electrical safe lubricant and it works much better. I will reinstall it. The can end is open at the center and you can spray lube in there. You probably don't really need to remove the solenoid at all, but it does help to spread the lube.

Why a PO would leave the solenoid installed but disconnected is a mystery. The connector locks in place so it can't fall out. It had to have been deliberately removed. The solenoid was stuck in the withdrawn (energized) position so it wasn't doing anything until it loosened up on it's own and engaged the shift lever mechanism, leaving me stuck at the Home Depot. Another great DPO moment...

So there you are, another thing that can cause "stuck in park" syndrome if it isn't your brake light switch. Either a bad solenoid, or one disconnected by the idiot that used to own your truck.

· Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
excellent post

wmsimpson:
thanks for this post. This is one of those WTF?? faults that can happen to anyone anytime, and cost an absolute friggin' fortune to fix if one has the car towed to a mechanic. A bit of ingenuity like you showed and it turns into a simple fix. Much appreciated!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.