Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '59 series 2 which I thought was MOT ready after a year of re-assembling. All running gear seems in good order...but, when in neutral a grinding comes from the gearbox as if the clutch was trying to bite, or a gear was slightly selected. When the clutch is down, the landrover is quiet (apart from the engine) and all sounds how it should in neutral. It strikes me as a typical LR problem, and probably straightforward to fix IF ONLY I KNEW HOW!

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks

Frustrated Broken Man.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I replaced the clutch in my series 3 at the weekend. I've changed a lot of Series and they all seem to make a sort of scratching noise at idle which like you say goes quiet when pressing the clutch pedal.

When I took mine out yesterday for a good drive the same noise was there again :clap:

Will yours change gear ok with the engine running and have you fitted a new clutch kit ?

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it goes into gear beautifully, but as I picked it up as a rolling chassis with a very well rebuilt engine, I'm not sure about the clutch, but the guy (a bus mechanic no less) seemed to do everything properly so I guess it either would have been perfectly serviceable or new.

It was sitting outside for a year after assembly and it seems there could be something funny about the 4wd selector, ie seized or something, but it is in the down position (though there is no spring on it which I think is why it doesn't spring up.)

It works and engages nicely in high and low range.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Will

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Will

You must do something with the 4WD selector, whether you refit the spring, or you tie it up fully, with a bit of wire/ string or something attached to the dash...

...otherwise, you will wreck your transfer box and scrub your tires, cos you are running in 4WD and the vehicle isnt designed to be run for long periods in 4WD on solid surfaces

:bgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Simon - will this keep it out of 4WD though, it doesn't feel like it's doing anything when you lift it up?

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
Box.

Hello,It could be one of a number of reasons,It could be the flywheel has gone a bit scabby and its polishing the crud off,it could also be the clutch thrust bearing is failing,as Jim states the do make scratchy sounds when new.

The 4wd selector do feel like they are doing nowt when the spring is detached, as long a it stays down when you want it to and pops up when you reset it (spring attached) its in working order.

But if it is in the down position and you have been driving it the box will be in perm 4wd now its possible you have wound the box up,But this normally causes the gear lever to jam so it does'nt sound like this is the problem but you do need to ensure its in 2wd before driving on the road.

Cheers ONz

brokenman said:
Thanks Simon - will this keep it out of 4WD though, it doesn't feel like it's doing anything when you lift it up?

·
Registered
125 Posts
The gearbox primary shaft always rumbles when idling in neutral with clutch released. There's nothing you can do about it because it's normal. The noise should disappear when the cluth is depressed or revs are increased above 1200ish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts