Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've got to get new rear pads and rotors for my disco. The Land Rover dealer is going to bill me $580.00 for the job! I was looking on the net for parts as that seems I can buy the parts a lot cheeper than the dealer. I found rotors priced at $45-$130. ea. Have any of you used the after market rotors and pads. And if so, is that all I need to buy if I am going to do the job myself.

In addition I was considering the (Slotted and cross drilled rotors) I do a lot of towing and I read that the drilled/slotted rotors work and last better than the stock.

Any help would be great.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So what are you going to be doing with your truck? Do you 4wheel much, haul big loads? How many miles on your truck?
Yes there are some good deals on aftermarket rotors and pads. You do have to be careful as to what you buy though, so you don't loose stopping power or get a bad case of the brake squeaks.
Mike J.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 60k on my truck. 90% of the time I'm driving on the hwy going to work. I do tow a 21' boat and I do going off roading 2-3 times a year. I do like the drilled and slotted rotors, but I do not at all costs want to get the squeks. PLease advise on rotors and pads

·
Registered
321 Posts
got mine from http://www.discountbritishparts.com/ though i got it for D1. Heard from people that the Mintex is not as good but i've not had any problems with them.
Might want to check out lockheed or ferodo.. forget which one makes it for lr for the D2's...
as for slotted/ drilled.. can't help you out there sorry
sam

·
Series Moderator
536 Posts
brakes

the slotted/drilled discs allow quicker cooling and also knock the glaze of the pads allowing more efficient braking however they are mainly aimed the performance car market.

The disco brakes where designed to take a lot of punishment and therefore up to stop anything that can be legally towed behind the vehicle so a 21 foot boat and trailer will cause no problems,I have towed similar loads with my old 84 rangie with no trouble.

The job itself is not difficult allow 2 hours per side if you are just pottering about certainly a worthwhile saving doing it your self.Would advise that you dont buy the cheapest components available,offset some of the money you will save doing it yourself into buying good quality discs and pads.

Cheers ONz
(oh yes rotors are called discs in the UK just to clarify :) )

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
$580 is a more than fair price for that job, if you were not inclined to do it yourself.

I have done four or five in the last few weeks. Expect a few issues.
1: The retaining screw may be a real bear to remove. It is not a philips head, but Pozi-Drive, #4. The screw is 8 * 1.25 if you need to replace it.

2: The rotors may be seized to the hub. We use a die grinder with a wire brush to try to clean up the hub. Often times, a two-jaw puller is needed.

3: the fronts will require a 19 m/m or 3/4 12-point socket and breaker bar, they're tight.

Lemme know if you need anymore insight.

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
102 Posts
Will tillery at roverguy.com will hook you up with quality rotors and pads for cheap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
May want to source some EBC Green Stuff SUV pads, heard many good things about them for the Rovers. Look into slotted rotors, you may not want the additional maintenance that comes with cross drilled rotors. They are a bit more fragile and prone to cracking thus necessitating the need for replacement, often. The slots will help cooling and shedding of any water build up from off roading or puddles.

·
Registered
111 Posts
love the rebirth of classic threads...

I wonder how the brakes turned out? Did he do them himself? Did the shop do them for the price quoted? If he did them himself did he have any issues? What brand did he decide on?. :dunno:Man this is good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts