Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Rotella T-6 and a Mobil1-301 is a great combination.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Seems to be a long standing misunderstanding that you can't switch back and forth between synthetic and non synthetic oils.
Yes you can..
Synthetics have numerous advantages over conventional mineral based oils. Mobil 1 is a quality product.
I run rottella t6 in my d2 4.0l which has 260,000 km not it

·
Registered
380 Posts
I run royal purple 15w40 with a k&n 3001 filter. It kicks the hell out of conventional oil in my opinion. It leaks a little more though which is expected with a synthetic, but engine cold starts good, I have decent fuel economy for a rover (15mpg), and runs quiet. It's a 50$ oil change though, if money is a concern.

·
2001 Disco 2 SE no ACE 115k miles
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I think I'm gonna try that 15/40 rotella.. I already have obnoxious tick so i I'm gonna pay extra attention to its pronunciation .. Thanks guy.. Oh another thread the guy recommend the really big Mann filter.. I can't the thread

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've switched over to the Valvoline Diesel Premium Blue. 15w40. I can't remember the source right now, but Rotella seems to have cut back on the additives critical to our flat-tappet motors. The Valvoline beat it in shear strength.

·
Registered
454 Posts
As a matter of fact, I live in Dallas, Texas and I've noticed that my 01DII has developed a slight tick. Maybe this is a consequence of switching to T6 recently?
I would find it unbelievable that switching from one quality oil to another would instantly be detrimental to an engine.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Good point Dane.
I did run 15w40 in the summer but switched to the t6 for winter. I am in Canada ane of course we get sub zero temperatures. The thicker oil (15w40) in a more temperate climate may have advantages

·
Registered
380 Posts
I would find it unbelievable that switching from one quality oil to another would instantly be detrimental to an engine.
Comparing t6 to rotella 15w40, it's a noticeable difference in thickness between both, t6 being As thin as water at operating temps. It could develop a tick over time, but not instant as you said. A thinner oil may make an existing sound more apparent though.

CDAllenInc, how long have you ran t6?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yeah I think I'm gonna try that 15/40 rotella.. I already have obnoxious tick so i I'm gonna pay extra attention to its pronunciation .. Thanks guy.. Oh another thread the guy recommend the really big Mann filter.. I can't the thread
Don'y think that changing oil will fix your tick. How mechanical are you and how many miles on your Disco?
As for the statement on not using T-6, it is good in all climates and keeps the engine cleaner then most other fluids.
In the mean time, find and fix your tick before it starts costing you money.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It may not even be a "tick" as suggested. I don't know the difference between "tick" or "knock" or whatever. It just may be my bad pulley that I've yet to replace.
Or an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The tick is usually a tappet that is collapsing slightly at hot idle, when the oil pressure is lowest. As hot oil pressure does vary with viscosity, a thicker oil can help by increasing the oil pressure - which is what expands the tappet.

Please note that there can be considerable variance in viscosity for the same rating. You can see a 20% variation in two 15w40s from different manufacturers. Rotella T is on the thick side. Have a look at the spec for 100c viscosity.

I went from a frequently loud tick with Valvoline 10w40, to an occasional faint tick with Rotella 15w40.

The added benefit of Rotella is the high detergent content, which might help long term to free up that tappet even further.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.