Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Depending on how much horse power you are looking at, you stand a good chance of toasting the Rover tranny or t/case.
If you are looking at too much power and plan on doing some rock crawling now you are looking at broken diffs. or axles.
You will need to rebuild from the engine backs, lots of $$$$
Mike J.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
the problem you should anticipate is paying for it and getting it done to where it works. many have had the same thought, but how many have actually done it and got it to work? I've never seen one. Just because the Rover engine started as a GM product, it doesn't bolt in/on Rover parts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The obstacles are many.

The GM engine is several hundred pounds heavier, so your front suspension will have to use MUCH heavier springs/shocks, and your rig will behave differently off-road. Someone will have to make a custom adapter to mate to your ZF transmission and TC, which are not up to the 350's torque and WILL fail prematurely.

Full-size transmissions/TCs such as you can easily bolt behind a 350ci Chevy won't fit under your Rover, or will require massive reengineering.

Your stock radiator will have insufficient capacity to cool the big V8, so you'll need someone to make custom mounts for a bigger radiator. Your stock fuel tank will give you pitiful range (though of course it does even now). You'll be using a GM steering pump, and it will have to be adapted to the Rover steering box. You will lose air conditioning altogether, or spend quite a bit of money having your Rover compressor adapted to the GM or the GM compressor adapted to your Rover AC system.

All of these things mean you will have to spend lots of time on labor, and you will buy some parts 2 or 3 times to try to get things to work correctly. Your truck will never be as reliable as it was before (and they aren't paragons of reliability in the first place, but now we're talking about the kind of unreliability that is likely to leave you stranded).

You have a '97, so depending on where you live, you will not be able to legally register the resulting vehicle in a city that does EPA inspections, because your OBD-II plug will be inoperative. Registering it elsewhere is probably illegal even if you get away with it.

It would cost you much less to put a hopped-up 4.6 in your Disco. There are suppliers who can give you all of the stuff you need for the conversion, which is not much. You can get mildly-built 4.6 engines which will put out 250 hp, a 40% improvement over your 4.0. The 4.6 probably won't use significantly more fuel than your 4.0 did. In fact, since it is not working as hard, it may use less, or at least the same.

You should probably budget around $6500 to $7500 to buy a professionally-built, mildly uprated 4.6 and have someone competent install it into your rig. You'd be looking at at least that much to get the Chevy option installed and get all of the bugs sorted out, even if you started with a nearly free used engine, but in that case, you'll have similar performance to the built 4.6, but a much heavier vehicle for it to move.

But afterwards, your Rover with a 4.6 will be worth more than what you started with, and the Chevy conversion will be worth very little, and you'd have a terrible time trying to sell it.

You can, of course have your existing engine rebuit, or start with a used 4.0 short block, and get the whole thing done much cheaper. In the end that's probably the best bet, unless you want the extra power of the 4.6 and are willing to pay for it.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
also depending on MO's smog laws, which I wouldn't think would be too bad, i think a Rover diesel would be a good way to go.

·
Banned
914 Posts
Alan Biggs on Dweb might have some insight. His truck currently houses a 6.2L N/A Chevy diesel. Basically, it would require the same mods. I think he's still running the ZF transmission with an adapter. I don't know right off who sells the adapiter, but there is a company who stocks them (Might be JacMac?????)

But, if I did it, I would opt for a 700r4 transmission. From there, you have a whole salad of transfer cases to choose from. I *think* some people use the t-case from a Jeep Comando.....But, Ive never done one, but it can be done. Cost is another thing....If I were you, I'd buy a wrecked Toyota V6 truck/4-runner and swap out the entire drive-train.

·
Registered
720 Posts
ChuckAsher - take a look at the 'Hybrid' Forum. There are many possibilities for engine swaps that may be better suited to the DI (for example: Mercedes diesel) than a heavy Chevy V8. The advice on substituting a 4.6 Rover engine may be the best all round answer. Being a practical bloke, may I warn you about the down time that any engine substitution other than a Rover unit will entail....is this your primary form of transport? Every time I have done a project involving custom work, it has taken 3 to 5 times as long as I expected. How understanding and how big a heart does your 'significant other' have?

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
let me get this straight, your engine is toast, but at the same time you want to buy a used engine that doesnt belong, then try to modify it and use even more parts and expect everything to work perfect.

and then have the vehicle start without a problem, no security issues and lets not forget pass inspection for emmissions.

Thats just stupid. Seriously, your wasting your hard earned time and money.

you could buy a used one for cheaper from a junk yard and have the oil leaks fixed and end up with a better vehicle for half the price and frustration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
350V8 Engine Swap.

Thanks for the honest input.

It seems like the consensus is that this engine swap is not a good idea. I took my lifeline (the Millianaire show) and asked the audience and 100% of them said that I should stick with original equipment (OE) parts. Merideth, I'm going to stick with OE equipment. That's my final answer. :wave: :wave:

·
Registered
909 Posts
01001010 said:
This has been ONE FANTASTIC thread! Thank you guys! I have dreamed about diesel conversions. Which Mercedez engine works on the D1s???
NONE! I have researched much on this conversion. Just not possible unless you have endless cash flow. Give it up. I would go with 200/300tdi. Much cheaper, and less of a headache!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.