Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil yesterday and again for the second time .. I noticed gold metal sand flakes in my oil ..

I am wondering if this is from the KN Gold oil filter ..

Anyone else experience this ?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this write up:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/main-crank-bearing-replacement-write-up-48197/

Is it the main bearings Rod bearings or Oil Bearings ?

I'm hoping it's the oil bearings since another poster said it's easy and all you have to do is drop the oil pan and it cost $100 to fix.

If it's the main bearings it's 10 hours and the engine needs to be dropped?

Here are the photos of what was in the oil:

Ok so I cannot send the photos again. I sent the photos to my email imbeded in the email... and cannot upload them to this website. I should be able to copy paste photos on here and cannot ...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Download the photos from your email to your laptop. Then you should be able to hit the paper clip and attach them to a reply post in this thread.

Good luck. (If they are too big, just use a resizer program and make them smaller; then send.)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Download the photos from your email to your laptop. Then you should be able to hit the paper clip and attach them to a reply post in this thread.

Good luck. (If they are too big, just use a resizer program and make them smaller; then send.)

Thanks. Here's what was in the oil.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What other crap have you been adding to your motor. Engine flushes or any other additives. Something has done some damage.
Nothing. Only ZDDP.

I've been changing the oil every 500 miles to "flush it" vs. adding a flusher additive. That oil you see with the black tar in it ... That was the 3rd oil change every 500 miles.. This was 400 miles ... I got it back from the mechanic and something didn't feel right .. so I did an oil change. Extremely black oil with SAND and gold specs came out. You can see it there ..

I did not know if this was old sludge flushing out .. or if the mechanic put used oil and sand into my engine. I drove it another 200 miles and did another oil change .. the oil was clean with very few gold flakes. Then I did another oil change in 500 miles and the oil was brownish and there was those little flakes ..

I don't know if its from old sludge ... the mechanic adding sand in oil .. the KN oil filter .. or a combination thereof.

I really appreciate your help but also need help from the other forum ... because if this is bearings like you say .. it's very serious and I could lose my engine from it seizing up. I don't know what bearings it could be or what I should do .... but that guy Army Rover and his boys club over there are refusing to allow me to post on the forums and giving me no reason why.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
P7rangie - is this a time when you would recommend that he send in a sample of his oil for detailed analysis?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will drop 10 grand on a Vortec conversion before I install another Land Rover engine ever again. Sand and metal flakes from bearings coming out of the oil should not be happening. I have a snorkel and was off-roading in the desert but the air filter would have blocked any sand. I also checked the air filter and there was only a little bit of sand. Nothing like what came out with the engine oil. So this is either old sludge that came loose with oil flushing or the mechanic sabotaged the engine. It drove off the lot with a cylinder 7 misfire which mysteriously cleared up on it's own. There is no way ZDDP caused this.

The sand was white or grey and the specs are copper or brass.

What type of metal are the cylinders and cylinder walls? If someone put sand in the engine what type of metal would most likely to come out? I am telling you they see dollar signs $$$$ when they see this car is in near mint condition and well cared for with mods. This is why I hate using mechanics. I have too many bad experiences with them. I don't know if this is loose sludge from frequent oil changes - or direct sabotage. Long time ago I watched a Land Rover mechanic mix kitty litter or some type of sand or gravel into coolant and dump it into a new brand Range Rover - to sabotage it for future repairs.

This is the reason why I use these forums - to avoid mechanics as much as possible and buy products. I need to ask for help on the other forum for this nightmare - but Army Rover and his boys club have banned me for no reason.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No need to analyse that oil. It is pretty obvious that he has some wear issues.
yes but what bearings need to be replaced? What bearings are made from copper brass? what type metal is the cylinder/cylinder walls ?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
yes but what bearings need to be replaced? What bearings are made from copper brass? what type metal is the cylinder/cylinder walls ?
You can do the whole job with it still in the motor but it's a real POS job...

Might as well prepare for that and go ahead and knock out your oil pump and timing because you are going to have to take off the front cover for this one.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think it is very unlikely that someone put sand in your engine. The most reasonable answer seems to be bearing wear, nothing insidious but just wear.

·
very disco
522 Posts
Re: the sand in your engine... I have a lifetime subscription to Occam’s Razor Theory. You were driving in sand and now sand is in your engine.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Re: the sand in your engine... I have a lifetime subscription to Occam’s Razor Theory. You were driving in sand and now sand is in your engine.
Where's the fun in this theory?

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
Was not too long ago that you posted about your fan? exploding, damaging oil cooler lines and having to drive It with no oil pressure as I recall.
A very likely cause of bearing damage.

As for what bearings require replacement..... all of them.
You have metal and grit throughout your entire engine.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I have a snorkel ....sand could only come in 1 way and the air filter blocks it .. .

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was not too long ago that you posted about your fan? exploding, damaging oil cooler lines and having to drive It with no oil pressure as I recall.
A very likely cause of bearing damage.

As for what bearings require replacement..... all of them.
You have metal and grit throughout your entire engine.

You have a good memory. Yes the fan exploded and the oil dumped out and I had to drive it maybe 30 seconds after that to get past the curve in a safe place. But there was residual oil and I had used ZDDP that should have allowed it to run a little bit with no oil in it. It runs now after the fact.

Why do you assume "all" the bearings require replacement ? Are all the bearings brass/copper? The stuff that came out was sand + brass/copper not steel.

I don't want to dump thousands into replacing all the bearings if I don't have to.

·
very disco
522 Posts
even steel bearings may have been marred, notched, grooved, or flattened by brass shavings circulating in your oil supply

and i wholeheartedly agree that there's only one way that things should be able to get into the engine... oil is only supposed to come out of the drain plug, but that doesn't stop it from seeping out of gaskets, seals, etc... the truck is 20yrs old and i would be less surprised by a crack/fissure in your intake assemblies than i would a saboteur.

you never know tho, stranger stuff has happened

1 - 20 of 31 Posts