Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

Drives like an old man
I'm looking for the replacement cost of oil bearings but am having some trouble locating them....馃槈

very disco
two words:

kitty litter

Super Moderator
鈥 Oil pan bearings 鈥 get it right Discomania!

Registered
鈥 These readings are very good. I am assuming this is good news and means my bearings are good. 鈥 I'm thinking as long as I use thicker oil and pressures stay this good there is no reason for a bearing replacement.
I'm not so sure that's totally correct, but I'm no expert. Hoping others will weigh in here.

What's the harm if main and rod bearings are worn so long as the oil and filter are changed regularly and the oil pressure stays in an acceptable range? Cam bearings too, I suppose.

Super Moderator
Ya you may buy some time with thicker oil and frequent changes but the damage is done.
How much time???? No one can say.
Surely not reliable 馃槓

very disco
I think I need to send my new engine back. I dropped my oil pan and found no bearings!

so many talented minds here caught up in a madman鈥檚 lunacy

Registered

very disco
Lol I work in IT also. I鈥檝e had enough lunacy by the time I get to the forums lol

Banned
Discussion Starter #52
You all know what I'm talking about... The main bearings and rod bearings behind the oil pan.... Oil Pan Bearings.

Banned
Discussion Starter #53
Ya you may buy some time with thicker oil and frequent changes but the damage is done.
How much time???? No one can say.
Surely not reliable 馃槓

What about the fact oil pressure is 24-26 PSI at idle and 50 PSI at speed? If the bearings were failing there would be LESS oil pressure correct? I'm reading that my oil PSI is in the ideal range. 24-26 oil PSI is what these cars got when they were new.

Is it possible .. sludge was loosened with all the oil flushes with bearing material in it from 20 years ago? OR that running it without oil (but with zinc additive) did some bearing damage but not enough to grenade it? I am continuing to do 500 mille Mobil 1 oil changes It's been 4 or 5 in a row and I'm still not seeing any more flakes come out. Engine is purring perfectly.

very disco
why ask questions on here?
Even if you actually had a Land Rover, all you do is ignore and argue against the answers that you receive.

why can鈥檛 you be a Jeep guy? That would be great

Bleeds Green
Thank you for your write up. This is very informative but does not explain why I have perfect oil pressure.
You'll have oil pressure until too much material is gone and then you won't. I don't think you're quite understanding here... please read this out loud, then write it down by hand and then read it out loud to yourself again... ready? Here we go: The gold stuff is NOT bearing material! It is softer. It will wear away MUCH faster than the bearing would. It is a sign of extreme internal wear caused by the loss of oil pressure. When it does go, it will likely be catastrophic. 30 seconds of no oil pressure was enough to significantly damage your engine and the gold flakes are evidence of that! Your engine is going to fail, sometime, somewhere and it you let it fail it'll likely be completely shot.

Also if the bearings start to fail I will see the oil pressure drop, pull over and save the engine.
Hahahaha - nope. You won't save it. It'll go: rattle.. rattle.. Rattle RAttle RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE BLABLABLABLA SCREEEEEECH!!! All that will probably take 3-10 seconds. That's what it took in my pickup when a main went.

Since the bearings are copper-gold colored they must be coming from the oil pan bearings. That means I would have to pay a mechanic what .. $1000 ... $2000. Plus risk him doing something wrong (or some little trick to get me to come back for more money).
The bearings are NOT that color. That's the color of what's UNDER the bearing material. Comon man - think real hard about it. Also, WTF are "oil pan bearings"? You reallllllly need to not stop arguing with people when you think there's something called an "oil pan bearing".

So your saying I have to get the oil pan bearings replaced and there is no other option because the presence of these flakes indicate damage has been done. So it doesn't matter if my oil pressure is perfect (it is in fact better than 90% of other forum comments about oil pressure).
There is no such thing as an "oil pan bearing". You're going to at least need the mains replaced. Maybe other things too like cam bearings. The damage, I'm sure, is not isolated to just the main bearings.

I have high oil pressure.
Higher pressure doesn't mean that the oil is working as well... by the way. You mentioned that you run thicker oil than you should and add zinc. Your oil pressure could be high because the pump is having to work waaaay too hard to push the oil into the places it's supposed to go, which could mean that the things which are supposed to be oiled aren't getting enough volume which could cause higher temps and more wear. But whatever. I'm not going to argue with you about that because it's probably pointless.

The car did run with no oil in it for a good 30 seconds gunning it up the mountain. I had no choice because it was a safety issue. I had to get off the mountain curve so other drivers could see my chem lights/hazard lights and had time to stop. So what if it's some other kind of bearings in the engine? Or the cylinder walls? The car had ZZZP zinc additive so this could have helped from more damage.
Did you hear the voice in your head say what you typed? If not, listen to it now as you read: "The car did run with no oil in it for a good 30 seconds gunning it up the mountain." And yet somehow you aren't accepting it when people are telling you that you're seeing the signs of extreme wear in the engine which are early indicators of impending catastrophic failure?

What am I supposed to do? Pay a shop $1-2 grand for oil bearings? This might not even be the source of the problem because the oil pressure is perfect.
You'll pay more than that but I'll cut you a deal. Send me $1,500 and I'll send you some "oil bearings". I'll make the most heavy duty moly and zinc impregnated ones I can. Oh, they're $1,500 each and you'll need 12 because you made your Disco sound like a 12 cylinder by increasing the idle.

WLADiscoII99 said:
I am continuing to do 500 mille Mobil 1 oil changes It's been 4 or 5 in a row and I'm still not seeing any more flakes come out.
Good. Keep it up. It might extend the length of time before a failure. Better cut open the filter every time and look at the element. It's likely you won't see much gold in the oil until right before the end, but it'll show in the filter if you look closely with a bright light.

You suffer from extreme confirmation bias so you argue with anyone who does not agree with your obviously ignorant presumptions. You remind me of my Aspergers step son. Extremely binary in thought and the only correct thing is what he's made up regardless of how off-the-wall and completely untrue it is. He is paranoid about people being "out to get him" like you are as evidenced by your caltrop deployment system, license plate concealer and alleged bullet proof glass. He'd do the same stuff. Also like you, he is constantly wanting to bolt useless "performance" crap to his car and I keep having to talk him out of it. If I let him run free his car would look like something out of Mad Max and run just as well... it sounds like yours is well on its way. Seriously man... you realllllly don't know what you're talking about and arguing with people who have real life experience with the issues you're asking about. I try to be patient with you because you are so much like my step son, but please, staaaahp. Stahp it. Go away. You're killing this forum.

very disco
Doesn鈥檛 Allisport make some really cool looking oil bearings that are the best because they cost the most?

Registered
The engine may well be just about shot. Rebuildable 4.0 engines are plentiful and relatively inexpensive in salvage yards. You probably need to rebuild your engine, at least the lower end. For what you are spending on oil for the frequent changes, buy a used engine and get it ready to swap in. Drive it until it breaks, then replace it.

very disco
I鈥檓 going to go out on a limb and deduce that if he thinks there鈥檚 such a thing as oil pan bearings, halogen fire extinguishers, and 25,000mi driveshaft service intervals...

he鈥檚 not equipped to install an engine

not to mention, a junkyard engine is not the most expensive option therefore it鈥檚 not the best option

41 - 59 of 59 Posts