Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to replace my older Garmin GPS III with a color unit. I want to keep it hard-wired to the car battery but want the option to remove it easily. Would anyone care to share their recommendations for color GPS units? I just want a good clear color display with lots of detail. My budget is around $400

Here are pics of my current GPS, which will move from the Disco to the Range Rover once I can figure out exactly what to get and how to mount it roughly the same place.

Thanks for any info/advice.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Another Option to Consider

I have found the Delorme GPS receiver and Delorme Street Map software an excellent product. It requires the use of either a PDA or laptop. I have an IBM 600x laptop in my 110, and love the large display (14" diagonal). This may not suit your needs, but I have found it to be a vastly superior display to that of self-contained units. I have mounted the receiver permanantly on the roof, and can take the laptop out of the car when not used. I originally began using the first generation receiver, which gets it's power from a cable connected to the PS2 port. I subsequently bought the new receiver which connects to the USB port, and no other connections. The new receiver is very much quicker in sat acquisiton and generally has 8 sats locked in.
The new receiver and software is about $130, but you have to have a PDA or laptop. Discos and Rangies don't have loads of options for mounting the laptop, but I usually just set the laptop on the pass seat or console of the Defender. The voice command option works well and speaks all he turns and markers. I also use Delorme TOPO software when offroad. The one drawback, at least with Streetmap USA 2003 is that is doesn't cover anything outside the US borders, though Canada may have been added to the latest version.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For in vehicle navigation I think Memory map is hard to beat. The maps are ordanance survey and at 1:50,000 scale there is enough detail for offroading and with the 1:25,000 series you get even more detail.

I use memory map on a laptop with a Navman BT GPS mouse and it works very well. Ialso use it on a PDA with the same mouse for walking.

Long term I am going to build a Pc based system using a 10 inch flat screen into my landrover. You have a high res color display that a Garmin will not match.

Roy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts