Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's me "taking charge", my first DIY Beast maintenance activity.

I've got my loaded grease gun and I'm about to go after the propeller shafts, but I was wondering if there are any other "greasable" parts under there...

Thanks!

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have had my Discovery three months now and I am just getting used to doing some basic maintenance but I found the Difflock website to be very helpfull.
This link is for a six thousand mile service for the diesel but it has a list of grease nipples and I should think most of the underside is the same for the petrol and diesel.
http://www.difflock.com/servicing/tdi-6k-service/index.shtml
Hope this helps.

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bongo! I work by the Haynes manual, but the instructions were definitely an excellent complement.

Here's the report:
  • Either my grease gun sucks or I've got obstructed nipples - there wasn't any excess grease coming out of the U-joints. I'm going to visit my local grease monkey for pointers. Is it a difficult job to remove the shafts for easier inspection, or should I leave this to more expert hands?
  • Though there isn't any play in the U-joints themselves, both prop shafts do have play coming out of the transfer case and into their respective differential. Is this normal?
  • There appear to be two sensors on the transfer case, both are sloppily spliced and soldered both on the assemblies themselves and on the wire harnesses leading up to them. One of them is the vehicle speed sensor, while the other appears to be the reversing light switch. Could this “damage” be the source of the short that has my gauges flat?

I thank you once again for your support.

· Series Moderator
506 Posts
me.guevara said:
Thanks Bongo! I work by the Haynes manual, but the instructions were definitely an excellent complement.

Here's the report:
  • Either my grease gun sucks or I've got obstructed nipples - there wasn't any excess grease coming out of the U-joints. I'm going to visit my local grease monkey for pointers. Is it a difficult job to remove the shafts for easier inspection, or should I leave this to more expert hands?
  • Though there isn't any play in the U-joints themselves, both prop shafts do have play coming out of the transfer case and into their respective differential. Is this normal?
  • There appear to be two sensors on the transfer case, both are sloppily spliced and soldered both on the assemblies themselves and on the wire harnesses leading up to them. One of them is the vehicle speed sensor, while the other appears to be the reversing light switch. Could this “damage” be the source of the short that has my gauges flat?

I thank you once again for your support.
its an easy task to remove the props and yes it is best to remove them to clean and grease them the nipples do get blocked,the play you describe is normal,and do sort the wiring out it may be the cause of the short.

· MG
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Onslow!

This weekend I'm stuck doing other household chores, but next weekend, at least one prop shaft is coming out for close inspection. I'll take pictures and keep everyone posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.