Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a 98 Disco LE. Went for beer and the sucker quit running on the way over. Engine quit and when I tried to start it, it ran for about 3 seconds and quit again. Checked all the wires and what not, but every time I try it, it dies after a very short time.

I have no idea what it may be. I've read through other threads and sounds like it might be the fuel pump. Any help in diagnosing or fixing the problem would be greatly appreciated... :D

·
Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
fuel pump...related relays/fuses...stepper motor

posting the symptoms or doing a search on www.discoweb.org will get quicker answers to your plight

marcus

·
Registered
72 Posts
First thing to check is your fuel filter. It sounds like it is fully blocked allows enough though over a period of time, while it is standing, to prime the system but when a larger demand is made it can't get the volume through. Anyway worth checking cheaper than a pump. Also I don't know how many filters there are in the line on your car,there may be a couple and a final mesh filter before the injector rail, this info should be easily access :drive: able

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not to sound dumb, but verify you have a few gallons of fuel. I have seen a few people go through a lot, just to find it is empty. If have fuel, run a pressure check on the fuel rail. It should be at least 30-40 psi at idle, or with the key on the "on" possition while not running. Listen for the fuel pump to prime the system, should hear an audible wine for a second or two when furst turn the key to on possition. If no noise, I'd suspect fuel pump connections, and /or fuel pump failure. If all sound good when turn to on possition, proceed below.

If have fuel and good pressure, sounds like a spark problem. Several possibilities. Check for spark by attaching a screw driver into a spark plug boot, and have the screw driver situated near (approx. 3/4 inch) from a metal part on the engine (not near distributor) and have a friend crank it and watch for a nice strong blue spark to arch across the gap. If no spark, or weak spark, trace backwards from distributor, to coil packs, to computer to find the error. Check fuses too, as well as ground connections for engine, computer, and battery.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find.

Kieran

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.