Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I need some help trying to hunt down some gremlins. I’m having some electrical issues with a newly acquired 96 disco 1. Recently, tried to start it and only get a single click. I’m guessing either solenoid in starter, or water troubles. It’s beem raining more than not for the last couple of months and I am finding water where it shouldn’t be in the engine bay (and drivers footwell, but that’s another issue).

Last week I plugged a scanner into it and received no codes (which seems highly suspicious). I bought it a few weeks ago and besides most of the dash being broken/missing it was its out radio and speakers.

I’m thinking previous owner put in aftermarket head unit and may have tapped into a data link wire, or broke its connection. Also, the dome lights and some dash lights aren’t working, as well as rear windows.

Now, brakes are really spongy, and when I bought it he said brakes needed to be bled. I didn’t realize ABS brakes needed scan tool to be bled. Also, while I’m not going to attempt a restoration, I would like it to be street legal, which means passing emissions.

I am a troglodyte when it comes to electrical matters, I’m wondering: are there any diagrams or tutorials on wiring that might help me figure out how the wiring should be? Something simple for dummies like me? Maybe sections of wiring bundle I could buy to replace what’s been hacked into?

I’m sure I’ll find more trouble, so any direction on resources would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
An anxious troglodyte

·
G4 Mike
69 Posts
I bled my brakes on my 2004 by sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder,filling it with new fluid and then bleeding it like I would any other car. When I was done I put it in hill descent mode and drove it down a hill. The brakes seem much better. I guess the sure fire way to do it is to use the fancy computer tool but mine seems fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, While my 96 doesn’t have HDC, Im gonna bo ahead and bleed them any way. I’m glad to hear that you had success. As far as my gremlins, my sister in law happens to be low voltage wiz, and has offered to take a peek at my electrical puzzles. Hopefully she’ll get me further down the road with getting everything correct, maybe even some upgrades: extra 12v ports, lights, second battery, etc.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I bled my brakes on my 2004 by sucking the fluid out of the master cylinder,filling it with new fluid and then bleeding it like I would any other car. When I was done I put it in hill descent mode and drove it down a hill. The brakes seem much better. I guess the sure fire way to do it is to use the fancy computer tool but mine seems fine.
I had the same success as Mike on mine, though I did use the 2-person method as I haven't splurged yet on the 1-person brake bleeder kit they have at Atlantic British (it's only $55, but I've been working on other issues which come first and had one of the indentured servants help). It's not too difficult, just make sure you have brake pressure in the system when you are bleeding it and start with the line furthest from the pump (RH Rear) and work your way around. Go back and do the rears one more time when you're done.

I've been using that method forever and have not had a issue with my brakes. I'll have to do it again here very soon since picking up the SS Brake lines that were on sale last month.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts