Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i went down to charleston this weekend to party at my buddies place, 20k acres of nice trails right along the black river, and on the way down i heard something pop in my axle or brake(i'm not sure which). It is the rear passenger wheel and i could feel it tugging and clanking so i pulled over. I checked it out and didnt really see anything(it was at night) so i just kept driving it to my buddies place and just hoped it arrived intact. On the way i sprayed some wd-40 on it thinking it might be a small rock that jumped up into the rotor or something. So when i get to my buddies place and put a light to it, the rotor had been grinded quite a bit and it was leaking some kind of fluid, and alot of it. I let it sit there for about 2 hours and there was about a 1 ft. puddle that had dribbled down from the axle/brake. It was a very dark, but thinish texture. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Locate the leak first..........

It is time for the trouble light and the jack and the tire iron. Is the leak from the caliper? Indirect check without removing the tyre, Check the brake reservior and see if it has dropped. If so, then either the line broke or heaven forbid, the rubber gaskets on the caliper broke.

The direct way is put the tyre out. Please chock the other tyres and do the jacking on a proper surface or at least get a good wooden board to put the jack on.

Check the CV joint and make sure the wheel is not binding and have a buddy (you do have a buddy in case the truck lands on you, RIGHT?) stomp on the brake pedal .

Get dirty and good luck

Adam in NYC :drive:

BTW, I am not a mechanic but an Emergency Medical Technician. I have pulled quite a few street mechanics from underneath. Bruised and broken ribs are the least of your troubles. Please think twice.

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Brake fluid.
It can have that color if it's never been changed. Which...I recommend you do. Most Americans never change their brake fluid. At least most I have lived near/with.

I reckon there are two fluids back there not counting fuel. Which you could find with a match (I"M KIDDING!!!!).
:lol: :eek:
The fluid coming out of the brake lines and components is thin.
The oil in the differential is thick if it is cold. After a couple of hours it shoudl be cold. It's 80-90 weight when cold so should be syrupy. (is that a word) Both may have the same color but it is the weight of the fluid that can tell you the most.
When I was in the Marine Corps we had to know the flavor...yes flavor of each of the fluids in our trucks. That may explain some things about me.

Adam has good words. Chock and jack stands. Be very careful under your truck.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had about the same thing happen to me shortly after I bought my '97 RR HSE. I knew the brakes where a bit low, and replacing them was my task for the day. As I was driving home from the parts store, I had a clunk from the front right, and the brakes were making a scraping noise. I was still getting some pressure in the brake pedal, but not nearly normal amount. When I arrived home I removed the wheel, and the inside pad had worn so much it had actually come loose from its mounting as it was now thinner than the space between the rotor and the caliper! The piston had popped out of its bore and I was leaking fluid. Had that happened on the highway I would not have been in good shape, but luckily it was only a few blocks from the house. I was also lucky that my piston popped back in and has not leaked.

-Coach

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Re: Taste of fluids

OkieRover said:
Brake fluid.
It can have that color if it's never been changed. Which...I recommend you do. Most Americans never change their brake fluid. At least most I have lived near/with.

I reckon there are two fluids back there not counting fuel. Which you could find with a match (I"M KIDDING!!!!).
:lol: :eek:
The fluid coming out of the brake lines and components is thin.
The oil in the differential is thick if it is cold. After a couple of hours it shoudl be cold. It's 80-90 weight when cold so should be syrupy. (is that a word) Both may have the same color but it is the weight of the fluid that can tell you the most.
When I was in the Marine Corps we had to know the flavor...yes flavor of each of the fluids in our trucks. That may explain some things about me.

Adam has good words. Chock and jack stands. Be very careful under your truck.
Thanks, big guy.

Just wanted to say that I had to taste synethic motor oil. It is oil,like castor. But I did not swallow. Also had ammonia water and bleach in there too. All accidents.

BTW, the oil will make your regular in the tailgate department if you imbibe/ingest. Ammonia water will numb your taste buds for a week and the bleach will whiten your teeth so well you won't believe it.

But don't try it at home , kids.

Adam in NYC :drive:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.