Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Grrrrrr!

3219 Views 17 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  TerryS
7000 lb truck and the most rain San Diego has seen in such as short period = not pretty...
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
what about the other two wheels???? can you spell diff lock!!!:D

hope u got her out - oh but wot fun u had getting her stuck:buttrock:
TerryS said:
7000 lbs.?
Yeah, the truck is a hair under 6,000 lbs stock. Add oversize wheels & spare, ARB bumper, rock sliders, roof rack, recovery gear, two + 6ft guys, and a stupid 3 point turn in the muck...

Took a phone call and a tug from a friend, but we finally got out.
Did you try deflating your tyres first?
DrewInSD said:
Yeah, the truck is a hair under 6,000 lbs stock. QUOTE]

Drew, I think you may be confusing GVW with curb weight. The curb weight of your 87 Classic is 4303 lbs.(fully fueled) Adding the weight of your ARB , after deducting the weight of a stock bumper, may be around a hundred pounds, but in the picture it doesn't appear you have a winch on board (might want to consider that next time you hit that mud spot) but oversized tires aren't significantly heavier than stock E rated tires.
I can't imagine anyone carrying more recovery stuff than my son, and his LWB, with ARB & Warn, roofrack(with extra spare) tips the scale (certified, as the paper company charges by total weight to use their 8000 miles of trails) at 4830. My 110, with ARB, front and rear winches, and that massively heavy roll cage and roof rack is 25 pounds less than his '93 LWB.

The GVW of 5997 is the combined weight of Curb, plus maximum weight of cargo and passengers( as suggested by the mfgr, but oft exceeded)
On the scales just two weeks ago my LWB was just a tad over 6000 pounds with two people in it.
OkieRover said:
On the scales just two weeks ago my LWB was just a tad over 6000 pounds with two people in it.
After reading your post, I ran over to the town landfill and weighed my son's '93 CLWB, and got the reciept showing 5050 (probably 50 pounds of salt and sand in the wheelwells) Can't imagine I'd want to meet the two of you in a dark alley if just the two of you make up the extra half ton.
TerryS said:
DrewInSD said:
Yeah, the truck is a hair under 6,000 lbs stock. QUOTE]

Drew, I think you may be confusing GVW with curb weight. The curb weight of your 87 Classic is 4303 lbs.(fully fueled) Adding the weight of your ARB , after deducting the weight of a stock bumper, may be around a hundred pounds, but in the picture it doesn't appear you have a winch on board (might want to consider that next time you hit that mud spot) but oversized tires aren't significantly heavier than stock E rated tires.
I can't imagine anyone carrying more recovery stuff than my son, and his LWB, with ARB & Warn, roofrack(with extra spare) tips the scale (certified, as the paper company charges by total weight to use their 8000 miles of trails) at 4830. My 110, with ARB, front and rear winches, and that massively heavy roll cage and roof rack is 25 pounds less than his '93 LWB.

The GVW of 5997 is the combined weight of Curb, plus maximum weight of cargo and passengers( as suggested by the mfgr, but oft exceeded)
You're probably right on the weight total, the number I was going off is posted on the inside of the driver's door. I just know that my buddy's Toyota 4x4 barely made an impression in the mud where as the Rover left about 4 inch deep ruts everywhere on that trail. It's a heavy mo-fo.

Airing down - may have helped a little. But the tires (BFG ATs, not mudders)were making mud soup and the tire holes dug in were filling with water like a hole you would dig at the beach by the shore break.
Winch - Would have done no good. There aren't any sizable trees in most places to wheel in San Diego and the truck was facing an impassable and completely saturated area to get another truck around front. The no winch points in SD is the main reason I haven't got one yet.

Bottom line is that this was really stupid place to get stuck, especially given all the more probable mud holes we went flying through earlier in the day. Oh, and on top of that it was on Navy property, so the guy with a back hoe 300 ft away at the local Evergreen nursery wouldn't even come out to tow me. It was stupid fun and unique here because we rarely have muddy conditions. Anyway, thought you all could have a laugh on me :D
I was pulling a trailer that said it weighed 1000 pounds. Maybe I have my number off. Maybe the total was 6000 and the trailer made up the rest.

That would make sense.

If you ever meet a US Marine with his woman in a dark alley it would be best to steer clear! She's either working him over or they aren't in a mood to talk.
Either way it doesn't bode well for the uninformed.

:drink1:

Drew what kinda tires you got on that bad boy. They look really caked up.
DrewInSD said:
I just know that my buddy's Toyota 4x4 barely made an impression in the mud where as the Rover left about 4 inch deep ruts everywhere on that trail. It's a heavy mo-fo.
Toys never made much of an impression on me, let alone it the mud. Heavy MoFo is a large part of why they are so damned good !
I had to run up the mountain (actually it's only a mountain by CTs standards) today to fix a transmitter. Having had 18" of new snow and not yet plowed made it all the more fun. 2.5 miles of very uphill trail through the woods to the tower was a piece of cake for the 110 today, albeit center and rear diffs locked.
Drew what kinda tires you got on that bad boy. They look really caked up.[/QUOTE]

Okie - The tires are 265/75 BFG ATs, though you wouldn't know it from that picture. Usually they're pretty good for the dry conditions we have here in SoCal. Did you ever end up getting new tires for your LWB?

Terry - The extra Rover weight compared to other 4x4s like the Toyota is usually also a benefit here too. Would love to see any pics you have of your 110 in the snow! We're going over to England in April on holiday and I'm half tempted to pick up an ex-military Defender if I can find one cheap.
What do you want to see? My Defender, or my snow? Defender will be around, but the snow is melting fast, as it's been over freezing mark two days in a row.
I'm not technicly proficient to know how to post any pics here, but can email them.
You can find any number of exMOD 110s, but getting one into the US is another story entirely. Don't hold your breath. I have spent alot of time in the UK in the past 25 years (80+ round trips since 82), have family and loads of friends. Many have LRs too. I have yet to convince anyof them to let me dissassemble one there and have them mail me a few bits per week. Rule of thumb 'If it isn't 25 years old, you can't have it'
Drew-
Yep, got new tires. Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo.
They are 8 ply and ride rough compared to my Yokohama's before that but you can't beat them otherwise. All the webpages have positive things to say about them. Haven't gotten them offroad yet.
TerryS said:
After reading your post, I ran over to the town landfill and weighed my son's '93 CLWB, and got the reciept showing 5050 (probably 50 pounds of salt and sand in the wheelwells) Can't imagine I'd want to meet the two of you in a dark alley if just the two of you make up the extra half ton.

That's interesting; I ran over the scale at the dump with my 2000 disco with just me in it, and an empty fuel tank, and it read 5054.
TerryS said:
What do you want to see? My Defender, or my snow? Defender will be around, but the snow is melting fast, as it's been over freezing mark two days in a row.
I'm not technicly proficient to know how to post any pics here, but can email them.
You can find any number of exMOD 110s, but getting one into the US is another story entirely. Don't hold your breath. I have spent alot of time in the UK in the past 25 years (80+ round trips since 82), have family and loads of friends. Many have LRs too. I have yet to convince anyof them to let me dissassemble one there and have them mail me a few bits per week. Rule of thumb 'If it isn't 25 years old, you can't have it'
Hey Terry. Would love to see the Defender. To attach photos, scroll down on the quote page to "manage attachments". This will let you browse your desktop and attach photos.

That's a lot of trips over the pond! My fiance and I are going in April on our honeymoon and are looking into going to the Solihull factory and possibly doing some Land Rover Experience green laning. Have you been to the factory? Do you know how to get set up with a tour???

Thanks,

Drew
DrewInSD said:
Hey Terry. Would love to see the Defender. To attach photos, scroll down on the quote page to "manage attachments". This will let you browse your desktop and attach photos.

That's a lot of trips over the pond! My fiance and I are going in April on our honeymoon and are looking into going to the Solihull factory and possibly doing some Land Rover Experience green laning. Have you been to the factory? Do you know how to get set up with a tour???

Thanks,

Drew
I am embarrassed to say I have never gone to the plant, but the town of Solihull is very quaint. Most of my family, friends, and connections to the UK lie in Derbyshire, and further North, in Scotland. Allow yourself what would seem to be an unnecessarily long time, as you will no doubt not want to head home after only a week or two. If you don't spend a few nights in a proper 'local' you haven't done it proper justice.
Drew, I almost forgot

This is the one piece of kit on my 110 that has really earned it's keep.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.