Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, that is the sound that comes from the fuel tank area of my '95 RRC LWB. I have been told that it is either the charcoal filter or the check value. While I do have the bible for this model, I am hoping someone could describe the best method for 1) figuring out which item is causing the problem and 2) fixing the damn problem. Symptoms:

When the SexyBeast has less than 1/4 of a tank of fuel, she idles very roughly and has been known to stall. I removed the fuel cap after one such stall and was nearly knocked off my feet by the pressure blasting out of the filler tube. As mentioned above, she also makes a gurgling sound (when I am idling at a stop light or similiar) when the tank is low.

Any wisdon, hopefully the precise kind?

Thanks.

· Registered
127 Posts
Charcoal canister...

Hi Jared,
A simple test you can do to narrow this down is disconnect the small hose on top of your charcoal cannister (located at top left side of your engine as you stand in front of your vehicle looking at the engine). The small hose connects to a short length of slightly bigger flex pipe just before it goes into the top of the charcoal cannister, this bigger flex pipe has a restrictor inside that gets plugged quite easily.
This short piece of hose with the restrictor in it has a hose clamp each end, so just remove the restrictor hose (its about 2" long) right off the vehicle & run the vehicle with the Charcoal cannister hose disconnected. If the engine runs normally & no pressure builds up, then you know you have a plugged restrictor hose or a plugged charcoal cannistor.
If you still have a presure build up problem with this disconnected then it points towards the pressure relief valve on the fuel expansion tank.
Let us know how you get on,
Andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.