Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pump failure and about to replace. It says to flush system prior to pump install, do I just do as on some threads and spray hose into top rad hose and let it drain out bottom? Just want to get all the dex out and refill with nice green new stuff. Second. Bought thermostat to replace at same time and asked for the 180 but nothing on it says which it is and am worried it may be the wrong part. all it says is Calorstat Thermostat 154 2002, Vernet. Can anybody find the rating on the thermostat? Third, am going to use copper permatex gasket to seal around water pump, is this correct? thanks guys. hope you can help.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Its all a matter of personal preference as to what you want to do and can afford - I would not use any sealant if you have the correct gasket and I would only use a HOAT antifreeze.
If you use zerex G5 its the closest thing to the rover mix and you wont need to flush the system just wash it through and fill it up. If you have the land rover style gasket dont use any copper sealant around it - just the gasket.
I have tried several searches on the calorstat and cannot find a reference to the temperatures anywhere.
I cannot help too much more.
good luck
Barri

·
Registered
14 Posts
After I finished cleaning the old gasket off the block, I poured distilled water into the top hose. When it looked like only water coming out of the pump, I stopped and made a note of how much water was in the block. I was using the coolant that needs to be mixed with water so I used that amount less of water when filling it up.
I used the thick paper gasket that came with the pump. I put a tiny amount of permatex high tack gasket sealant on it purely to hold the gasket in position on the engine. I also put permatex high temp thread sealant just on the couple long bolts that the coolant drains out of.
Removing a long bolt - lower right I think - is a nice controlled way to drain part of the coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.