Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my 1995 Classic has a hard brake pedal. Ever since I bought it I noticed the pedal was a bit harder than it should be. I had new pads slapped on the old rotors about 4 months ago. About 3 weeks ago the brake light came on the dash and has not gone off. I notice that the brake pedal is hard. Almost as if it had no power brakes..

I checked the vacuum lines (those that I could find) and all seem ok. I wonder if it is the brake booster or??? Any ideas? :dunno:

Serg

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Sure sounds like your ABS pump is, if not already, packing it in. Can you hear it run when your turn your ignition on? Does it sound like it always did, or does it have a raspy whine to it? If it's working properly, you will hear it begin to slow down just before it shuts off.

· Registered
57 Posts
Terry sems to be on the right track. When you start the RR the ABS pump should turn on for awhile then turn off until you apply the brake about 6-7 times, then turn on again to prime the system. Your ABS pump is probably weak. On the Atlanic British web site in the Tech section it shows how to test your ABS Check the ABS relay, maybe pump isn't turning on.

http://www.roverparts.com/techtips_main.html#rangerover

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I can hear it run when I start the Rover, and then it turns off.. will have to check that page and see what I can troubleshoot.

Serg

· Registered
490 Posts
Your problem is probably with the ABS accumulator. Its a spherical tank that stores compressed nitrogen and acts as a pressure storage vessel for the braking system. Follow the braided line from your brake pump and it leads to the accumulator. Over time, all the nitrogen bleeds out past the internal seal and into your brake fluid. It leaves you with a hard brake pedal. I bought a new one from Atlantic British and its solved the problem immediately. Easy install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.