Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything was fine when driving home, next we got a hard rain and streets were near flooding the LR3 with 145k miles performed fantastic. I get on the freeway to finish my commute home still good. I get off the freeway and make a right turn and hear and feel a clunk/knock like something is binding in the rear. Turn left nothing, turn right clunk. I did a few maneuvers, it’s mainly when I was turned right going forward or reverses.It’s not a squeak; it is a hard knock/pop that you can feel in the rear of the truck. id I drive in a circles the popping continued until I stop or go straight. I took it to a reputable European Auto shop in Dallas for a diagnosis. They told me the rear differential was going our (that is what I was suspecting). I ordered a rebuilt rear dif from LUCKY 8 Off Road in NY. I did the swap and filled with appropriate gear oil from RoverParts.com. Started on the test drive and it’s doing the same thing but regardless of directions I’m going or turning. It seems to pop with each wheel revolution. It feels as if something binding then pops free with each revelation. I’m thinking rear cv, or drive shaft. I have jacked the truck with rear off the ground and tried to hand shake the two cv to see if any play in the joints but couldn’t feel any slack. There is slack the drive shaft career rubber bushing (not sure how firm the rubber bushing should be) has anyone had this issue. It’s not a squeak; it is a hard knock/pop that you can feel in the rear of the truck.

·
1,854 Posts
Have not heard of clunks by rear diff, usually is a low pitch growl when the bearings are worn and need to be replaced. Growl getting louder as it goes.
Clunks could be rear control arms, or maybe EBP locking up.
Dave

·
1,854 Posts
I meant EPB. The Parking brake is known to lock up if it's not adjusted properly once you replace the rear rotors and brake pads. Sometimes it goes out of adjustment. Check the parking brake shoes.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was this resolved? I changed out my rotors/pads all around, and since then have a loud clunk noise coming from the driver side rear wheel, only when I turn right. was this EPB related? If so, how is it resolved??

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Following! 08 LR3 on long road trip. Stopped for gas, hard right exiting the pump. Loud metallic clunk coming from right rear area underbody. Not when turning left. No noise or groaning any other time. First I've heard it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.