Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE that used to start instantly when turning the key. Lately it fails to start without cranking the starter several times for 5 - 10 seconds. Once started, it runs normally - I have 37psi in the fuel rail - I am thinking maybe ignition system (plugs, spark, etc)? Any ideas would be appreciated - cheers!!!

·
Paul Rover
1 Posts
I just bought a 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged that failed to start first thing in the morning and it progressively got worse as the days went on for the first start up of the day. I took it to the dealer for 75k maintenance and had them look at the start up problem.

I was provided a fuel system cleaner run through the fuel rails and injectors and then they took the throttle body apart cleaned the blade and intake, then ran the cleaner back through the system. It solved the start up problem, the idle improved and my mileage improved from 12mpg to 15mpg.

The service was $388 and provided me peace of mind and a better running truck.

BTW the 75k service changing the front and rear differential and transfer case oil did not solve the noise from the rear of the vehicle at 50mph, I think it is a balance of a drive shaft or half shaft issue causing a harmonic resonance. I am not worried about the rear differential at all now that it has been serviced. Is it annoying? A little but I love everything else about the truck after owning a Lexus GX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, maybe someone can help before I start throwing parts at the car;

Discovery 4.6 v8 GEMS engine

The problem crops up only when the car is left sitting overnight or more than a day or two (seems like the longer the worse)
When turning to the on position it turns over and sounds like it wants to fire up but dies, this happens repeatedly unless you blip the throttle which helps it to start running, runs very rough (like not all cylinders are firing) for about 10 seconds then idles perfectly. After that will consistently start throughout the day with no problems.

Could a low battery voltage be causing this, i.e. not having sufficient current to run injectors/fuel pump correctly? I suspect the battery could be on the way out too.

Appreciate your help.
Liam

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You have a completely different vehicle with a completely different engine that the forum you're in. Try copying and pasting in the Discovery II forum.

Could be lots of things, especial those moisture related like deteriorating ignition wires. When you re=post, tell us if you have a Service Engine Soon light, either blinking or solid or and if you have had it scanned for codes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.