Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I (and I am sure lots of other people) am curious as to what it takes to import a Land Rover (or any other vehicle) into the US.

I have read some of the NHTSA and DOT pages, but I want to hear from people who have actually done it. If you have, or know someone that has, imported a vehicle into the US, let's hear about it.. Tell us how it went and what hoops you had to jump through.

Serg :drive:

·
Registered
14 Posts
hiyas

as far as i can tell if the car is 25 tears old or more you can import it without a problem. you do need to pay an import tax of 2 or 3% tho (also depends on the state)

if its over 25 years old and a landrover its a nightmare and super expensive
you have to bring it in line with EPA and DOT regs

I'm moving to texas nest year and I'm gonna take mine with me (1986 XD90)

but im going to do it on a te,pory import visa thing 12 months max

the more i think about it tho i mighthave to take a couple of series motors with me too :) if only to pay for the move over there

I'll let you know how it goes

·
Registered
5 Posts
I imported the "Aardvark", my 1960 SII 88" here from England back in 92.

Drove her down to Southampton, broker stuck her on a RO-RO and I picked her up in Houston. Shipping cost $1200

Broker handles all the Customs and USDA requirements (Under carriage was supposed to be steam cleaned) cost was about $200.

But then she wasn't subject to all the EPPPA and DOT crap, so it was easy!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Aardvark said:

But then she wasn't subject to all the EPPPA and DOT crap, so it was easy!
Now, one receives a waiver from the customs broker stating that the vehicle by virtue of being over 25 Y/O is exempt from both DOt and EPA regs. This waiver is necessary to obtain US ownership documentation as the export document only states that one has permanently removed a vehicle from the UK.

I just imported a 109 last month.

Peace,
PT

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PTSchram

Tell us more.. what was the total cost to ship and process the paperwork and how long did it take???

Serg

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Serg said:
PTSchram

Tell us more.. what was the total cost to ship and process the paperwork and how long did it take???

Serg
Towing from Manchester to Liverpool was 150 GBP ~$250.

Shipping costs were approximately $1400, Liverpool to New Jersey.

Customs brokerage fees were $250 + the 2% (?) duty.

Storage was more, but I can't recall this instant, perhaps Shopgrrl will enlighten me and I'll let you know.

It was certainly an extension of my Land Rover adventure! Between dealing with the Tony Soprano wannabes in Jersey (an entire story in and of itself) to the engine quitting on the off-ramp of the Garden State Throughway, to the gas station attendant with the foul mouth who refused to fuel my truck due to its non-compliant fuel tank (his 18-Y/O assistant had no problem), to disassembling the seatbox to top up the transfer case and overdrive, to finally the motel room with no windows and bullet holes in the door. :eek:

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
78 Posts
I did it a week ago. Bring a vehicle into the us is a lot easier than taking one out. I went from ontario to ny. There was no duty. Took an hour. The vehicle was just 25 years, otherwise you need the epa letter of compliance, which a diesel defender, like mine, would never get before the 25 year mark.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
6 years old.. This thread had been dead for 6 years....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts