Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 Disco. When I turn on the headlights the "yellow" turn signal lights do not light up. But when I use the Hazard Switch, turn signal, or set the alarm the lights will work as needed. Was wondering if anyone has any idea? I think it may be in the headlight switch itself, just not making contact where needed (also, headlights and red lights work fine).

thanks

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it, take it to a good Rover shop.
Mike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Helopilot said:
I have a '97 Disco. When I turn on the headlights the "yellow" turn signal lights do not light up. But when I use the Hazard Switch, turn signal, or set the alarm the lights will work as needed. Was wondering if anyone has any idea? I think it may be in the headlight switch itself, just not making contact where needed (also, headlights and red lights work fine).

thanks
Dont know much about the legalities of such things over there - I'm not sure if they are meant to come on at all...

If they are supposed to be one then it would seem to me that it wouldn't be the switch as the wiring will more than likely have a relay in it.

I know that only the ones people have messed with over here have the yellow 'running lights' as we call them. I really would get it checked out - the dealer will indeed be able to tell you if they should be on......

Bri
:beer:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Re: Hazard Lights

The turn signals are only for signal use. There are marker lights mounted on the end caps that turn on for identification of front vs rear.

I had the same problems when I bought my first Hyundai Excel (1986). The turn signals were embedded in the front bumper whereas the lamps next to headlights were strictly for marker use. I received quite a few tickets from traffic agents who did not know the difference. I got off by showing the functions of the lights to the judge using photos.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yeah, that threw me off too.

As far as I know, the US DOT standard specifies that a white marker light must be viewable from the front, and an amber marker light must be viewable from the side. On most cars, the clear and amber markers are viewable from front and side, but on most Land Rovers I've seen, this specification is interpreted quite literally and the clear markers are only viewable from the front (on mine, the clear marker bulb shares a reflector with the headlight), and the amber markers are only viewable from the side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

The reason behind the question was exactly as some of you stated. In New Orleans the city has a safety scam, you pay 20.00 and they tell you if your lights work (you get the same at an oil change) and you get a "I donated 20.00 to the city sticker", failure to have one is a heavy fine. I apparently failed mine because they said the lights were not coming on. After your responses, I poured into electric diagram and your all right, so I'll carry a copy and explain all the lines and symbols...

thanks,
B.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Better yet, carry a photo...

from LandRover of your model vehicle with all the lights on. One Photo is worth a thousand words.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.