Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a problem a year ago with my 05 LR3 HSE. The typical HDC Transmission fault with lowered suspension. Upon changing my battery it all went away. It is now a year later and it is doing it again, so i purchase a new battery, which load tests fine, and still have the issue. I did a "soft" reset (key on wait for the chimes to quit and then key off, repeat 2 more times). I notice now though that the faults trip only when i touch the brake pedal. As well, i have no brake lights!

So this is my question, is there a way of testing the brake switch under the dash? I have also heard of a wire harness over top of the spare (which i quickly checked for damage or obvious issues). Any ideas?? We are 3 hours from a LR dealer and if i can isloate the issue myself it would make life alot easier:) Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
One other place to check would be your brake bulbs. It has been reported that blown bulbs will trigger faults, particularly when one of the filaments touches the other.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just picked up some fresh genuine LR brake light bulbs today to avoid this very issue. If you're running aftermarket bulbs it's possible that one of the filiments has crossed the other and is causing a short. People have reported some crazy stuff caused by non-approved bulbs. There's also supposed to be a brake switch connector at the brake pedal assembly. Check that one out too... I think there have been others who have reported issues with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi It seems that hdc fault is a commen problem only mine came on while braking, the brake pedal went hard and the Landrover felt if it did not want to come to a complete standstill. After I got it to stop I put it into neutral and pressed the brake pedal again to see if it would not go soft. After a second or two it did. This is when the HDC fault warning and suspention lowered as a bunch of other messages started to come up. I drove for about 5 minutes pulled of the road and switched the Landrover off.
When I restarted these codes were gone but the brakes are still very dodgy? Any sugestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So, has anyone nailed down what is the cause of this fault yet? There was a period of time when my LR would throw the fault when braking, but that doesn't happen anymore. Now it happens usually when the motor is cold and your accelerating say out of a parking lot. The LR will suddenly accelerate faster without me applying more pressure to the pedal and then shifts up throwing the HDC fault, Transmission Fault, and Suspension lowering up on the message center. The only way to get it off is to pull over and restart the car. All my brake lights and blinkers are working properly. I am working on a budget and would hate to buy a new battery and it not fix the problem. Plus my battery cranks the truck fine without problem. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am experiencing this too. Expect in my situation i just got my car back from having the brake sensors replaced and the bushings in the front suspension replaced (replaced the bushings in the lower arm, replaced the whole upper arm) and the shop who did this also aligned the car. Now im getting all these faults, hdc fault, brake light comes on, suspension lowered. and also my car has came out of alignment. any ideas?

·
Registered
25 Posts
also i checked the brake lights once i got home while the code was still up and they work fine. i just replaced the battery in sept 2010 so i dont see why it would be causing the problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
hdc fault, suspension lowered prompt.

Hi Folks,

I'm Newbie on the forum.
Today I had similar experience with other LR3 owners posting on this topic. As i drove my LR3, i suddenly heard a chyme and a message display HDC fault, suspension lowered, and then a prompt indicating that the brake pads were worn. I pulled over, got out of the car and observed the suspension had lowered, the truck becomes heavy and slow to move afterwards and I just manage to get it home.

Any clues on what may have happened and where I may look to have this issue resolved? Bought my LR3 used and shipped to Africa and have been using it for just about 10 days. I am distraught with this. I'll appreciate any help I can get from the forum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have gotten the HDC error message consistently at cold startup for the last 3 years. After restart very seldom have I seen it.

About 4 weeks ago I needed to remove the carpet from the front floor board. After doing so I found 2 ground wires that were badly chaffed. One was completely into but each end touching. After repairing I have not had this error once.

These wires are located along the lower left edge of the drivers foot rest / step. To access them you will need to remove the foot rest and the trim behind it. Behind the trim there are two grounding studs. These ground wires were connected to the one further forward. The wires had slipped from their loom routing and chaffed against the back edge to the trim.

I don’t have a ground distribution diagram to know which circuit these grounds connect to, so I can’t say for certain if this is directly or indirectly related. Either way a broken ground is never a good thing.

I would be interested to know if anyone else finds these chaffed as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HDC Fault ! Need a idea

Hello everyone. in the morning most o days i have HDC fault an my lr3 stuck in lower mode. No special programs. I notice than when i push the brake pedal everythik is ok, when release the breake the HDC cames up and no special programs. I change the brake swich but is the same problem.... Check the brake bulbs, the battery seems ok. Any ideas to solve it ?
thank you guys

·
very disco
2,210 Posts
Check voltage at brake pedal switch

·
very disco
2,210 Posts
What voltage do you see in and out of switch?

there is also a cluster of grounds in the driver kick panel worth inspecting. Have you inspected the EPB? Perhaps run the “unjam” action if you have a qualified programmer/scanner tool

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry for my late response. My EPB is disconnected from system years ago. I have remove both relay and fuse. Any other idea ?

·
very disco
2,210 Posts
Did you check the rocker panel harnesses? If you’ve had water ingress, there are splices which will fail

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yep I had a water ingress, foot place passenger seat ☹. I will find time to remove everything and check connections. Stupid question, where is located rocker panel harnesses ? Thanks

1 - 20 of 35 Posts