Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the torquing procedure for the new bolts, but I'm wondering if it's safe to use my impact gun to install said bolts. There were a couple of spots where my breaker bar didn't fit well during the removal, and one bolt even rounded off (got it out eventually with a cut bit) so I'm just trying to think of better (read: easier) ways to put the new ones in. The only hard part would be making sure I only moved the bolts 90 degrees at a time. Impact gun worked really well at extracting the bolts that I could reach with it.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Ouch!...
I would never even consider using an impact to tighten head bolts or any other critical torque bolt
They will go in easier than they came out and need to be precisely torqued.
If access is a problem then you should consider raising or lowering the engine from the ( engine mount)
Sorry to burst your bubble but take you time and do it right

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what I thought, I was just worried about rounding another bolt off if I can't get just the right angle on the breaker bar. I was leery of using the gun too. If they go in easier than they come out, then I should be in good shape.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
That's kinda what I thought, I was just worried about rounding another bolt off if I can't get just the right angle on the breaker bar. I was leery of using the gun too. If they go in easier than they come out, then I should be in good shape.
Make sure you get a thread chaser and really clean up the threads in the block. Also lightly oil your bolts before installing. Thats critical/required to get a proper torque setting. Do those two things and they should go in like buttah.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Heli, the thread chaser sounds like a good idea. Do you happen to know what size is needed?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for edification purposes, the bolts appear to be 12mm with a 1.75 thread pitch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.