Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, only new to the forum, I read a few things about head bolts, but really didn't get the answer I am after.

I have a 1997 Landrover Discovery (10 bolt heads), have tried to do the bolts up on the 20kn +90+90, very difficult to understand, the first 90 degrees takes the torque to 65 ft lbs, the next 90 degrees comes out at 90 ft lbs, I have only taken one bolt to this setting as yet as I am concerned about the high figure and the risk of doing damage.

I would have expected a lower torque setting for an alloy motor, am I correct in being concerned, or is this high torque what is really necessary.

Is there any reason that a torque figure is not used?

Alick "Droverrover" Hodges

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Hi, only new to the forum, I read a few things about head bolts, but really didn't get the answer I am after.

I have a 1997 Landrover Discovery (10 bolt heads), have tried to do the bolts up on the 20kn +90+90, very difficult to understand, the first 90 degrees takes the torque to 65 ft lbs, the next 90 degrees comes out at 90 ft lbs, I have only taken one bolt to this setting as yet as I am concerned about the high figure and the risk of doing damage.

I would have expected a lower torque setting for an alloy motor, am I correct in being concerned, or is this high torque what is really necessary.

Is there any reason that a torque figure is not used?

Alick "Droverrover" Hodges
Some folks recommend 15lbs +90 +90 (wait 15 mins in between) with final torque around 82lbs. At least that's what I've read.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
And make sure you use new head bolts along with head bolt thread lube to get a lot more accurate setting, not oil or dry.
What about the rest of the direction, do you know the sequence and the torque settings for the rest of the bolts?

· Registered
720 Posts
And here's a bit more...

I bought a 'head set' with gaskets and head bolts from a machine shop. Had to take the head bolts back. The actual heads were really badly made and too short in height, the threads were coarse (difficult to understand if you think about how they are "rolled") and there was significant variation in the thread consistency - very strange. The gaskets were OK. It was interesting, because the shop took the bolts back without question and immediately - I think they knew they were crap. My prejudiced brain immediately assumed where they came from!
Ended up buying the head bolts from the dealership.... very expensive!

· Registered
268 Posts
Yes, 10 bolt head - I used 15 ft/lbs and then 90 degrees twice (as in the Haynes manual).

At the back up against the fire wall, you might need someone to keep downward force on your socket bar - otherwise, the socket can try to jump off the head bolt.
Perfect info here.
Though I thought the "proper lube" was engine oil?????

· Registered
3,198 Posts
Don't worry about the torque except for the first stage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.