Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a brand new Land Rover enthusiast, literally, 2 weeks old. This forum has given me hope that I can do this.

I took my 04 Disco to the local rover auto shop and had them look it over. They said my brakes are at 20% and could change them both for $1100 and I had a leak at my head gasket, which they don't mess with (bad sign).

With the help of this website and others, it appears that I could conquer these issues on my own????? Starting by saving $850 and buying the brake kit from pac-british.

Do I go for it?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
I'm not sure that's enough Info for anyone to help guess where you're at. 1100$ or 850 is to replace what parts exactly. What does the brake kit from pac-british have in it? Who is pac-british? Do any of these prices include labor? I think its too much money by a long shot but you should still answer all the questions. To answer one of yours I paid 650-750 to change almost everything. I did EBC slotted rotors front and back...I got them and Akeebono pads from partsgeek.com...I cant remember where I got the calipers but one was sticky and worn in front and one and back so I changed all four...there was an ungodly amount of brake fluid I flushed through there so there's that cost. Having said all that I would call and get parts from PT Schram if possible. I'll try to look up his number.... 260-804-0458

Second what made them say head gasket and are you aware of that cost..

Edit: to say, I remembered...I got the calipers from auto zone or O'Reilly. I think they ordered them. I know they were refurbished.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
The brake job is easy. Really easy. Even for a beginner. The steps are about the same as on any other car, so watch a few "how-to" videos on YouTube, read the RAVE manual and have at it. No special tools are required, however it is helpful to have a large C-clamp so you can re-seat the caliper pistons. Atlantic British does have a full rebuild kit (4 rotors, 8 pads, retaining screws) for $229, the rotors are solid but the "Lockheed" pads in the kit make so much dust that I really can't recommend using them. Buy a set of rotors and then get the Akebono pads DB mentioned. Way better braking power, way less dust.

Now the head gasket is also fairly easy, but I'd say that's out of the realm of reality for a beginner to tackle. Theoretically, if it's just a minor leak from the back of the block you could still get years out of the gaskets, but it's good practice to change them, particularly considering how catastrophic an overheat would be. If I were you, I'd source all the parts myself (gasket kit, head bolts, plenum gasket, exhaust gaskets, etc.) - I've crunched the numbers and the parts cost only about $250. Then call around to local shops and ask if they're interested in doing a labor-only job for you since you'll provide the parts. It helps if you have a friend who knows a friend, etc. Many will say no, but some will say yes, and then compare prices. You'll probably have to spend at least $1000, and upwards of $1500 if the heads need machining, but at least you'll get a warranty and have the peace of mind that it was done professionally.

·
Joe Btfsplk
86 Posts
WMartin:
Bosnian Discovery is correct, you CAN do many things yourself. I would do the brakes, and order the parts as he says. Just one note; try to do the brakes in such a manner that you don't have to bleed them because that process can be very tricky to do correctly. Head gaskets? I don't know. I have a diesel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Disco Biscuit - Pac british is atlantic british on the west coast. $1100 did not include labor.

I could get rotor and brake pads for $300 (atlantic-british recommended), but it doesn't say the brand of the brake pads. I did see the $230 lockheed kit. The EBC performance kit is 550, which is tempting.

I'm not aware of the head gasket cost. They found a leak but didn't know where it was coming from so they requested to "pressurized" something to higher than normal so they could locate the leak, and he said he believed it was coming from the head gasket.

Bosnian Discovery - by the gaskets could last for years with a minor leak - you mean I might be able to live with it, but you advise against?

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
Well, let me say this. Find a new shop. Any shop that is wanting to take $1,100 out of your pocket to do brake pads and rotors should be shut down and charged with theft (a bit extreme, I know, but shops like that really fire my rocket).

Once you find a new shop, have them do a proper test for head gaskets. There is more than one way to check.

Do the brakes yourself if you can read and follow directions; they're not difficult to do. The money you'll save in labor can be used to repair other items. The knowledge you'll gain is priceless.

Colin

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
1. $1,100 for rotor/pads isn't out of the realm of reality. Certain places insist on using OEM parts for "luxury" vehicles. Our OEM rotors retail for about $110ea and the pads go for over $200. With the markup you're probably looking at maybe $750-$800 in parts. Then they'll charge you an hour labor for each corner and you're already at that $1,100 rate. Here's a good site for estimating repair costs: Auto Repair Estimates - Get Honest Car Repair Costs

2. @Wmartin - With a minor leak the gaskets could last another 20,000 miles, or they could last 20 miles - there's no way to know. I do recommend swapping them. They'll likely find the leak at the back of the block (near the firewall) - the gasket is incredibly thin there, and the DexCool does a great job of eating what little material there is.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Don't drive it. If you have a headgasket leak on any facelift D2 you'd be insane to drive it. You can fix it yourself, everyone here will help you if you have questions along the way.

The brakes are stupid easy to replace, also. That shop needs to be burned to the ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
LUK Schaffer Brake Kit

You can keep the Akebono pads, of you're looking for affordable performance, get LUK Schaffer rotors, from crossdrilledrotors.ca they last long , don't warp and have a good braking power GOOD LUCK!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.