Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and searched, my brain hurts. Quick break down, just bought the disco 2 with 170,000 on the clock a few weeks ago. So far Ive taken the intake off and replaced valve cover gaskets, new o2 sensors, plug and wires. Engine ran like crap before replacing sensors and plugs, and ran much better afterwards. The problem is when I drove it after replacing valve covers (drove it pretty hard too), the oil light started flickering and then engine started ticking, when I slowed the light went off and ticking went away. So I started preparations to add oil gauge to get readings for trouble shooting. When I had my wife start the rover so I could get readings, my connection next to oil filter started leaking, and I immediately noticed the oil was a funny color. The oil was changed just before I purchased it. It's not milky white, but like a rusty cloudy color. I haven't really driven it much since I got it, just trying to service it and get it up to par, but when I drove it home I drove the crap out of it and no lights or ticking. So, what else can I look for to see if I have a head gasket problem, if there is one. Also I had filled up coolant chamber, and it was empty today, coincidence or not? Would the oil be unmistakably milky if coolant was leaking? I'm just being overly cautious, not wanting to destroy the engine. Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Oil and water/ coolant don't like to mix I have seen vehicles with gasket failure (not particularly a rover) pour straight coolant for out of the oil pan drain plug out and then oil on top of it.
Sounds like trouble . Sorry to say.
Hope I'm wrong

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just remembered that while I had the valve covers off, it sat over night. Well I had also pulled that coolant hose that go's across the top of cover, and left it off over nite too, I had coolant all over the garage floor and of course the top of the engine and edges where covers sit, I'm hoping coolant got in the motor that way. I will dump oil and refill, run for a bit, and cross my fingers that the oil comes out looking normal.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, the po told me that the cam had been replaced not long ago, do you have to remove heads to do that job? I'm thinking they should've replaced lifters and rods too? I have the shops number will call and ask tomorrow if they remember the job, that shop has done all the work on this disco since the warranty ran out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.