Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
364 Posts
Any real reason to do it?
I would assume ease of serviceability - that way the metal tubes aren’t in the way, and the intake doesn’t have to come off to get them out of the way.

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
Maybe I’ve had a sheltered life, but SAI has never given me fits or been so in the way that I’ve felt the need to augment it. In fact, it’s kind of a quirky thing that I adore about this damned truck of mine, as long as it’s not grinding heh

Reactions: Bigmant773

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe I’ve had a sheltered life, but SAI has never given me fits or been so in the way that I’ve felt the need to augment it. In fact, it’s kind of a quirky thing that I adore about this damned truck of mine, as long as it’s not grinding heh
I am actually curious what the hell it actually does. I’ve tried to do a mild amount of research and can’t really figure out what the purpose is, especially because some have it and some don’t haha.

·
very disco
2,590 Posts
I believe it’s emissions related. Somebody who knows more than me made a video

·
Expert Crate Digger
399 Posts
Using flexible hoses instead of the stock SAI metal tube helps with easier removal when troubleshooting coil packs, spark plugs and fuel pressure rail access.

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Just wanted to close this out! Finished this up yesterday, took me three 6 hour days or so to finish up.

Wow. What a difference. It is like a whole new car for me. I think had 2 of 8 cylinders working as they should. The other 6 all had water intrusion. I was having issues getting the truck up to speed, as in to go 70mph on the highway I had to catch the slipstream off of 18 wheelers just to get down the road. Steep graded hills were almost impossible. I followed the Atlantic British video and it went perfectly.

Highly advise whoever reads this to change out your pushrods and tappets while you’re in there. I had to hammer my old tappets out, so I know they were getting stuck and making some driveline noise. The car is now the smoothest and quietest it’s ever been.

If you are the second+ owner and over 120k on the odometer, these trucks are probably due for a change. Not a hard job, just time consuming.

Of note, if you have secondary air, make sure you have a 9mm Allen head wrench. Either one that goes on a 3/8th drive socket wrench or the L shaped kind. They don’t come in most sets, so you’ll need to get it as a single socket from autozone. You need it to remove and reinstall where the secondary air lines go into the block.

Enjoy!

·
Expert Crate Digger
399 Posts
Congrats!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts