Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land Rover Warriors,

Just informed by my mechanic, whom I trust, that I have a head gasket leak on passengers side, which I suspected when I couldn't find any visible leaks from hoses etc, and saw coolant leaking off the rear of the engine block onto the exhaust pipes causing some wonderful smoke. The Disco wasn't running hot, but I could smell coolant when idling at a stop. So I'm afraid it's time to do the gaskets. While the shop has the head removed, they would like to replace cylinder sleeves, which have been know to slip, and lead to the famous LR ticking (sounds like lifters sticking).
I'm already looking at about $2K for the head gasket and valve cover gaskets. Anybody else have any experience with the cylinder sleeves and their DISCO 2?
My LR just hit 136K if that matters. Any help here would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Recommend you do both sides, not just the currently leaky one. At $2K you are obviously thinking about only one side. These D2's are notorious for busting head gaskets and the second side is just waiting to happen.

A few years ago I did one side at $1700 including new head instead of spending $2100 (as I remember but that sounds too low - not sure) to get both done as recommended by my Indy. Within 30-60 days the second side blew and I was out another $1700.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Kevin
I would recommend you do a LOT of reading! Starting with the "sticky" in the discovery 2 section labeled "a must read for anyone about to repair head gaskets or valve train noise". There are also numerous threads dealing with these issues.
I would ask your mechanic if there is a definite sign of a head gasket failure and if any cylinders show as exceptionally clean ( lots cleaner than all the rest. If there is a for sure sign of a gasket failure, you may be able to get away with head gaskets and servicing the heads.
I will agree that doing one head gasket makes absolutely no sense. Kind of buying 1 new shoe. You just don't do it and you should get your ass out of any shoe store that tries to sell you just one ... If you get my drift.
Replacing liners is major major work. I am in the process of replacing the liners on my 2002.
Having a shop do it for you could easily hit $10,000. Do your homework! It will not be cheap!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Head Gasket and Re-Sleeve

Just got back from the shop. Pressure test confirms without a doubt the head gasket on the passengers side. So Replace Head Gaskets check.
Now for the re-sleeving of the 4.0 is the tricky part. Total estimate for both gaskets and re-sleeving is between $6-7K.
That will vary depending on parts needed. The re-sleeving is done with t-toped sleeves in order to prevent the sliding/slippage currently experienced.
Saw some examples of this in the machine shop, nice improvement.
Anybody have this type of labor done.
What else should I be thinking about, any transmission issues concerns I may need to confront?
Other than brakes, tires, and the occasional wheel hub...

I love my Rover -- this is gonna hurt...if you have a success story on this topic I would like to hear it, horror story are welcome to...
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why are you considering resleeving? Is there a problem with the engine?
Re sleeving due to the ticking/tapping /dieseling currently experiencing.
I haven't asked for a compression test.
Is there any reason not to reserve while the heads are off?

My wife wants me to trade it.

Option 3 is there any additive that you would recommend/ consider to fix the leak temporarily say a few weeks/months? and allow me to to get to a car dealer?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
You really need to do some reading before you start throwing money at a truck you don't understand.
If you have a leak fix the leak
if you have a tick fix the tick But liners do not tick leak yes. Tick no.
Valve rain tick, bad bearing, collapsed piston skirt etc. Cause tick / knock.
We can't tell you everything to do in your particular situation .
It will be up to you to decide and then convince your Mrs.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The tapping noise will probably subside after the cooling system is replaced. Once you get the operating temps down to 200, the ticking noise sometimes goes away when the motor is no longer running hotter than hell. But yours may be too far gone seeing as the head gaskets went before you could adress the over-heating issues. Once you have the top-end overhauled, you are looking at another $500 (at least) to replace all of the hoses and hose assemblies, radiator, water pump, overflow tank and cap, thermostat, viscous clutch and throttle heater plate. If you do not update these parts, you are going to blow out the head gasket again and you will really be upset. Then again, your oil pump gear could break into a few pieces, slow the oil pressure and then you have to rebuild the lower end next. Replace the oil pump gear and timing set too, since everything is suspect on a motor that's been running too hot for too long. Now you are really thinkin about getting rid of it!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do the research as stated earlier, too many "what if's and but if's. If you need liners, buy a prepped short block that has them already from a source that does them daily. Experience with this machine shop operation is vital, some here are capable of doing the job, if you are not an "A" line mechanic don't try this at home, don't entrust this operation to a mechanic that "fixed a Japanese transmission once", liners are a major deal.

Diagnosis is key here, get it right the 1st time or pay thru the nose. There is no value to the truck as it sits, most bail on them for the reasons you are being asked to dump it by your wife, there is no trade value to a broken Discovery, they litter the landscape. As stated above, fix the problem, but find the problem 1st and foremost. Good Luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.