Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving my Disco quite a bit lately. I did my weekly under-hood check yesterday and noticed it was quite low on coolant. I added some, and then checked the oil. It was on the low side, so I went to add some. That's when I found some milky deposits and oil in the fill tube. The oil on the stick still looked and smelled exactly like it should. The first thing that crossed my mind after seeing this was of course that my head gaskets are shot. How would I check for a head gasket leak without pulling the heads? If it does need head gaskets, how long can I drive it as-is without screwing anything else up?
Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well that is not a good sign, that is typical of head gasket issue. You can get a bit of that on the cap if you only do short trips.

The is no good way to check, as the odds are you have just the start of of a head gasket leak. Having said that try this :

• Clean up the cap and filler tube
  • Top up the coolant and oil
  • Add a catch bottle to your expansion tank overflow - any plastic bottle will do extended it with some rubber hose and it will fit where the jack sits
  • Go for a drive you need to get the engine up to full operating temp.
  • Stop and idle for a few minute then drive a couple of times
  • Go home park and check you oil filler and the new overflow bottle - more yellow and coolant in the bottle it is likely head gaskets

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am now absolutely certain that the head gaskets on my truck are toast. In the day since I last filled it, it ate through about a gallon of coolant. Overheated on my way home from work today (about 4 miles) - gauge on the dash clean off the scale, red light on, everything. Got it home, shut it off, and it took about a gallon of coolant. Started it back up and it promptly pushed all of it out the tank and onto the ground. Checked the oil - it was almost all the way to the top of the stick and super milky. I will definitely be parking it and doing head gaskets on it in the near future. Thanks anyway for the advice - I'm sure many people who come across this thread in the future will be thanking you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yea I got lucky mine cracked and I caught it in time, always brutal.

It is not a hard job just a bit time consuming, take your time and double check. Make sure you have the heads trued.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will do. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts