Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I finally did the head gasket on my 97 Disco. Not to bad of a job for the most part. bashed my fingers loosing the head bolts and got work out tightening the new head bolts. The very back bottom bolts sucked very tight spot to get at. I'll do a write up soon on it. Sorry no pics though, forgot about taking them.

Now on to my problem. The dam thing will not start. It will crank, but not start. My dad checked for spark, by using a screwdriver and said it wasnt getting any spark. So I was talking with another car guy this morning and he siad that you cannot check for spark by using a screwdriver. he said you have to pull the plug and leave it in the plug wire and then hold it against something like the exhaust manifold and that is the way to check for spark. He said that you could damage the coils by using a screwdriver to check for spark. Is that true???

Also when checking over things we pulled the connection plug that goes from the wireharness to the cooil pack. With the key in the on position we show power coming from one of the wires out of 5 (we tested the wires coming out of the wire harness). Is this normal or should we see power coming from more of them?

Anybody have any clues as to what might have gone wrong with this. I miss my rover.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hank said:
What's the fuel pressure at the rail?

You sure you put the plug wire back on correctly? Right order?

Not sure what the pressure is, but there is pressure. Fuel shoots out when you press the fixture. Yes all the plug wires are in the correct place and order.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt check for compression as I had to get back home last night.

I am wondering if it is the crankshaft sensor????

Talking to my dad he said he had to cut and splice a wire and from the sounds of it ( I am not with the rover right now) I think the wire he spliced was for the crankshaft sensor. If that is the case anybody know how I might be able to replce the wire? From what he said the wire he spliced had a green wire and a copper wire in it along with strainded wire. Like I said I didnt look at this wire he spliced yet, but I am thinking out loud that this might be my problem.

· Support Our Troops
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay She is back up and running. Now I just have to go pick it up.

It was the wire going to the crankshaft sensor. I guess something happended to it and he had to splice it, but didnt realize it was a shielded wire. So I explained how it had to go back together to him and everything is good now. No more leaks and he said it feels like it is running stronger.

Thanks for all the help with this guys

:drink1: :beer:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.