Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My disco II is leaking coolant from the left and right front head confirmed by pressure test. Going to have a head gasket job done by a personal mechanic friend of mine that is very good at what he does.

One thing I am reading as I look up more info about these head gasket jobs is that the problem can return after a few months not because of how the workmanship but the nature of the LR engines themselves.

Here is an article I am reading...
JE Robison Service — the blog: Blown Head Gaskets on Land Rover V8 Engines

Is it just inevitable that even after replacing the head gasket properly the engines themselves just fail internally?? What is everyone experience with these head gaskets?

Just wanted to know current owners take on this issue since I am very new to the Land Rover family. Any insight to the matter is greatly appreciated and experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
4.6 will need to be resleeved. Both 4.6 and 4.0 need arp head STUD kits. Using elring gaskets, and studs, the gaskets should last for as long as you can run the engine. Using good oil, like full synthetic Lucas and a quart of stabilizer will keep the engine internals good

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MRussell...do you have a link to where you purchase your head gasket? This is all new to me so not sure I am understanding. I can forward that to my mechanic but he wanted me to order all the parts and he is just charging me for labor.

·
Registered
172 Posts

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Call pt schram. I think its worth it. I aint gettin rid of mine. Just inspect parts and deal with it as it comes. None of the above things need to be done to mine and Im changing all the parts including cam lifters chain etc...all at a very reasonable (cheap)price from a very trusted vendor here. He is very knowledgeable and will lead you in the right direction. Engine Vehicle Auto part Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Disco Biscuit--I have been trying to get the parts from him...texted him but maybe I should just call. He texted back but I am ready to pull the trigger and get all the parts from him. I would like to get the parts by next week sometime so I can fix this truck up.

If not...I found another deal with Bosch head gaskets and bolts for a pretty good price. I will give it another day...if I don't hear back them I will just order the Bosch ones

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just make sure your buy arp studs. The factory bolts are stretch bolts. Getting more stretch bolts may cause the same thing later on. The studs are to be tighten to a point and then stay that way forever. And with studs, if you have to change gaskets again you can reuse the studs

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers

·
Registered
84 Posts
My head gasket blew and I had a new one installed. There is much debate on this topic, but I am convinced that the head gaskets fails because of the use of dexcool antifreeze. I made the choice to use green antifreeze from now on in my disco, along with the addition of water wetter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just make sure your buy arp studs. The factory bolts are stretch bolts. Getting more stretch bolts may cause the same thing later on. The studs are to be tighten to a point and then stay that way forever. And with studs, if you have to change gaskets again you can reuse the studs

Mike Russell
Age 18
2003 discovery se
Lover of Rovers
Does it matter if I use head bolts or studs? Please explain. .. thnx

·
Registered
172 Posts
Use the head studs. Botha are made to stretch and make a tight seal because they stretch. But after many many heat cycles and the bolts will loss there tightness. Then with the constant compression cycling the bolts will stretch longer than allows and the gaskets will loosen. Studs are a harder material and don't stretch at all. You tighten them to the set point and they stay there forever. You shouldn't have to replace headgaskets anytime after if you resleeved as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To 2004 Discovery -

The issue or resleeving your block really depends on the type of failure you have experienced.
If you have had the catastrophic coolant loss and overheating suddenly than a block/sleeve issue is suspect. There is lots of information posted on that in these forums.
If you have a lesser coolant loss and can see some evidence of coolant at the front or rear of the engine than perhaps it is a head gasket or valley gasket .

Regarding bolts or studs - Believers in both camps.
Mark at D&D Fabrication in Almont MI (specializing in these motors) once told me that the only stretch bolts you will see in his shop are in the trash can.
I bought the ARP head studs through him.
My block then suffered the catastrophic liner/block failure some 6 months later after head gasket replacement. (#4 cylinder)
Some have commented that these blocks can only tolerate head gasket replacement once or at most twice before failing. I don't know ...
Anyway, if you do choose ARP studs be aware that they do make a special set for the later LR blocks that is longer than the Buick item that is offered.
The longer thread in theory, does not distort the block. Again - lots of posts on that subject.
The longer studs do command a premium in price, but if I were to use studs again - it would be the longer LR specific set.

The Elring gaskets are readily available through Atlantic British.

My 2003 D2 now has a used motor installed -
Luck of the draw there, but it is running well so far.
For me, that was the most cost effective repair.

It is encouraging to see that some of these Discoveries have high mileages and are still in service with no engine issues.

Anyone want to buy a used set of Buick ARP head studs ? HA!

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you have a 03-04, your sleeves are going be a time bomb. You would have your block out to do sleeves. You can risk it, and it might last forever. But if it doesn't, you will have to do the process all over again. BUT GET THE STUDS

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Couple of things. What sometimes looks like a head gasket failure can actually be a crack in the block underneath a sleeve. Make sure your guy has the expertise to daignose this possible cause. Whole other can of worms.
Second, I would go with PT's advice on bolts vs. studs. Do your own research. Lots of debate on both. Beware of anyone that tells you to ONLY do it their way.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Almont, MI is about 45 minutes from me, I will give Mark a call and see if he can diagnose it properly and fix it. Hope his price is fair.

Thank you
If it IS a crack underneath a sleeve, you have to make some serious decisions. Some say it can be welded up, re-sleeved and your good-to-go. Others say, "not so fast, short block time". If it is cracked, do a ton of research either way. Not to beat a dead horse, but I would defer to PT again on this one. He works on these things all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.