Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I replaced the engine in my 2004 LR Discovery 2 about 3 years ago with about 37000 miles on 2nd engine now. Vehicle overheated for about 5 minutes before I pulled over and towed it to my mechanic. Ordered Head Gasket Repair Kit from Atlantic British, had my heads re-planed and leveled and my mechanic put it all back together. After job complete, same cylinder is leaking coolant EVEN THOUGH IT PASSED the pressure test. Atlantic British says that's weird and I and my mechanic are at a loss for words.

It's my daily driver and I have a young daughter SO....Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I would check to see if the head bolts are torqued properly. Do you know if the mechanic followed the proper pattern for installing the head bolts - are they new? Which head gasket did you use?

·
very disco
1,181 Posts
Is it leaking into the engine or externally? Sounds ominous and familiar unfortunately

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like the head gasket wasn't installed properly. AB says to start in the middle and work your way out in a spiraling fashion, which is the exact opposite as the manual which says to start on one end and spiral in. I've done both and they both work. However, the first time I used head bolts the leak came back and I had to redo everything. Since then, I've only used the ARP head studs. They're waaaaay easier to install and hold for much longer then Torque to Yield bolts.

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
If you overheated for 5 minutes it is VERY likely that you have “cooked the block” and now have a leaking cylinder liner (sleeve)
It will likely only leak when the engine is warm ?

·
very disco
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I replaced the engine in my 2004 LR Discovery 2 about 3 years ago with about 37000 miles on 2nd engine now. Vehicle overheated for about 5 minutes before I pulled over and towed it to my mechanic. Ordered Head Gasket Repair Kit from Atlantic British, had my heads re-planed and leveled and my mechanic put it all back together. After job complete, same cylinder is leaking coolant EVEN THOUGH IT PASSED the pressure test. Atlantic British says that's weird and I and my mechanic are at a loss for words.

It's my daily driver and I have a young daughter SO....Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!
Chances are the head gasket was not the problem in the first place. You may have a cracked block or leaking liner. get a new engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts