Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put it off long enough and with winter coming it leak a little more. I received quotes for replacing the head gasket on my 04 Disco which has 71k miles on it. The Land Rover dealership quoted me $2200 to replace the head gasket but a reputable independent Land Rover shop quoted me 3k, the extra $800.00 was to service the valves/lifter etc. I have had the vehicle since 40k and changed the oil every 5k with synthetic and used the Land Rover fuel system conditioner, is there any reason why I should pay more to also get the valves done??? I do plan on keeping this vehicle for well over 100k.
Thanks

·
Exploring suburbia for over a decade.
197 Posts
I have put it off long enough and with winter coming it leak a little more. I received quotes for replacing the head gasket on my 04 Disco which has 71k miles on it. The Land Rover dealership quoted me $2200 to replace the head gasket but a reputable independent Land Rover shop quoted me 3k, the extra $800.00 was to service the valves/lifter etc. I have had the vehicle since 40k and changed the oil every 5k with synthetic and used the Land Rover fuel system conditioner, is there any reason why I should pay more to also get the valves done??? I do plan on keeping this vehicle for well over 100k.
Thanks
The valve job is money well spent, just how much to spend is the question.
I shopped around, got a mechanic referal from a LR owner and got the job done for @ $1700, plus everything else I had done. I would look harder for a better price.

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
First of all, the average head gasket replace on our engine with SAI should run $1550 including parts and fluid except for plug wires, which should be done and possibily resurfacing the heads. Our engines don't need a valve job, if you have been running high octane gas, till you hit 180,000 miles plus.
That being said, go shop around .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Disco Mike. I had my plug wires replaced at the 60k service and have used high octane gas since I bought it so it sounds like doing the valves would be a waste of money at this point. Anyone know a good service shop in the Minneapolis area.

Thanks again.

First of all, the average head gasket replace on our engine with SAI should run $1550 including parts and fluid except for plug wires, which should be done and possibily resurfacing the heads. Our engines don't need a valve job, if you have been running high octane gas, till you hit 180,000 miles plus.

·
Exploring suburbia for over a decade.
197 Posts
Thanks Disco Mike. I had my plug wires replaced at the 60k service and have used high octane gas since I bought it so it sounds like doing the valves would be a waste of money at this point. Anyone know a good service shop in the Minneapolis area.

Thanks again.
DM is right, I wouldn't second guess that.., it would take actually inspecting the heads, valves etc... PAtotoe POtatoe...To the point tho..that quote is waaay to high and the Indy may have been referencing the work necessary to the heads after a HG replacement, that should only run @ $165ish??

Who knows what the previous owner did or didn't do to it...I would only want open heart surgery once...

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My valves are perfectly clean. Is it ok to use low octane (regular) gas every other fill up to save money on gas?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
My valves are perfectly clean. Is it ok to use low octane (regular) gas every other fill up to save money on gas?
"NEVER", no exceptions unless that is all the station has.

·
Back in a Series LR after 25 years :-)
421 Posts
I just did mine.
I wasn't leaking coolant, it was oil.

$240 for the complete gasket kit with new head bolts (the good head gaskets).
$238 for a valve job and head resurfacing, I'm not going through all this work to risk valve problems down the road.
$80 to have the injectors cleaned and tested.

$558 total for parts and machine work and about 15 hours of work with the help of my 13 year old son.
We were taking our time as I was spending time teaching him.

I almost did the cam and lifters put after a detailed inspection and checking all the valve lifts were good I left in my originals.
And the rocker arms checked out as well.

I have to say it is a bitch doing a lifted truck.
If I could get the same job done for $1700 I would consider it in the future.

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts