Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Throwing Money at It
1995 Land Rover Discovery
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've got some decent oil leakage from my valve cover gaskets, and I've recently developed quite a bit of coolant seepage from my left headgasket, so I've decided to go ahead and tear down the top end and replace my headgaskets. I'm going to be ordering the kit and bolts from Atlantic British on Friday, unless you guys have a preferred/recommended supplier. I'm also going to do a set of Magnecor wires, and some Bosch +4s.

Here's my question, though. Since I've bought the truck, I've had a ticking/knocking noise coming from somewhere, it went away when I did an oil change, but came back about 2000 miles after the oil change. Should I try to get rid of the ticking while I've got it apart? What should I be looking at? Oil pump? Cam? Lifters? Do I need to adjust my valve clearances?

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Buy your kit from British Parts of Utah where they sell a good German set.
How many miles on your engine?
Before you tear into the engine, send me your number so I can walk you thru a list of stuff to check for.

· Throwing Money at It
1995 Land Rover Discovery
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put Castrol 10W30(I think) in it the first time, quieted right down and ran beautifully. I used Mobil synthetic the second time, I'll check what weight on both when I get home. The second oil change was with a heavier weight if I remember correctly, and the tick never seemed to go away.

The truck has 86,500 miles on the clock, and as far as I can tell was maintained poorly for the year or so leading up to when I bought it.

Out of curiosity, what oil/filter SHOULD I be running?

· Registered
455 Posts
You may want to order the ARP stud kit instead of the stretch bolts for re-installing the heads. I think it makes things alot easier and it is extremely well made hardware.
Many people will tell you they are overkill but I believe they are worth every penny, plus you get a cool sticker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.