Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
94 Defender 90
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went through some ridiculously deep water the other day with minorly cracked headlights turned on. After I got through it (which I was very thankful of. Deeper than I thought :D ) my headlights are even more cracked so I've decided to upgrade. Any suggestions? I've been looking at these:
http://www.roversnorth.com/RRD04/RRD04_14_16/RRD04_page14.htm (top one) the Hella Vision Plus upgrade. Anyone have these? Anyone have any other suggestions for both the housing and bulb?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
We have the Hella Vision Plus housings in two of our rovers and I find them to be more than adequate, but the difference between them and a standard 7" sealed halogen is huge. Both the European beams and the HV+ use H4 bulbs. You can use higher wattage bulbs in either, but doing so, in either lens is pretty obnoxious to oncomers. Using non standard lighting (Non DOT) is the highest fine for safety violation in CT, and I know MA is pretty up on it too. NH moonties used to be pretty laid back dudes, but lately they all act like Buzz Lightyear. Rather than just going to Susquehana's website, call them and speak to Dave. What they tell you on the website is that it isn't recommended to use higher wattage bulbs in the HV+, because they can't recommend something that isn't legal. They also tell you the Euro lens is intended for off road use, so that lets them tell you you can use higher wattage H4s, but stand in front of either and you'll see how much more light gets thrown straight ahead (that's a good thing) I bought a used set of Defender front wings from RDS and they came through with Euro Hellas. I had them in there when I first put the 110 back on the road, but, frankly, it's kinda nice to be able to see the overhead signs.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
my buddy has the e-code hellas on his 4-runner...Loves them..they made a huge difference for his rig

·
rovering??
689 Posts
ive had the Hella Vision Plus housings before one of them cracked.. they were pretty ok... now i have some clear lense housing with 90/100 bulbs which are 2ice as bright and even better they are white light....

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
I can't comment of the Hella Vision lights but if you can get genuine E code lights go for it. I've used Cibie and Hella E code lights since the early 1980's. Just don't be a jerk and put 80 watt low beam bulbs in your lights. I don't own a gun but I sure wish I did whenever I see some jackass cruising along blinding everyone in his path. Oh, and make sure your headlights are aligned after install. Having someone blind me because his headlights are out of wack is right up there with the goon and his 80 watt bulbs!

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Have them aimed and don't get those super bright blue ones either..Those just plaim hurt my eyes...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Paul Grant said:
I can't comment of the Hella Vision lights but if you can get genuine E code lights go for it. I've used Cibie and Hella E code lights since the early 1980's. Just don't be a jerk and put 80 watt low beam bulbs in your lights. I don't own a gun but I sure wish I did whenever I see some jackass cruising along blinding everyone in his path. Oh, and make sure your headlights are aligned after install. Having someone blind me because his headlights are out of wack is right up there with the goon and his 80 watt bulbs!
sorry man my bad, oops

·
rovering??
689 Posts
Paul Grant said:
...Just don't be a jerk and put 80 watt low beam bulbs in your lights. I don't own a gun but I sure wish I did whenever I see some jackass cruising along blinding everyone in his path. Oh, and make sure your headlights are aligned after install. Having someone blind me because his headlights are out of wack is right up there with the goon and his 80 watt bulbs!
oops ...

1st Rover said:
now i have some clear lense housing with 90/100 bulbs which are 2ice as bright and even better they are white light....
not to worry ,they are well directed.. if any thing they are lower than most cars...

·
94 Defender 90
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another quick question. I put the air dam back onto my classic (like the look plus the use of fog lights), and after that little swim those fog lights are full of water and both bulbs gone as well. On the Rovers North site, the Hella 550's are shown as direct replacements for those. My question is that if I were to buy them from here would they have the same connectors as are currently on the car? Currently they're those 3 pronged sealed connectors.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.